Free Bass guitar lessons

korg pandora effects question

Go down

korg pandora effects question

Post  zsquad on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:38 am

alright so I was thinking about investing in some quality effects for my bass, and since dman raves about the pandora, I was considering buying that. however, I have never used effects that were not built into my amp, so I just need a little clarification. If I may be doing recording down the road but not for the time being, can I use the pandora for effects through my amp with no computer involvement? like can i just plug the pandora into the effect loop outlets on my amp and use the effects there? or do i need a computer to use the effects? i'm a little confused. thanks

Back to top Go down

Re: korg pandora effects question

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:51 am

No computer is needed, it's just a standalone effects device. Bass > Pandora > Amp. You can plug it into a PC for recording purposes though

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Do you need to buy an extra cable? Or is it bundled?
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:21 am

I thought it went Bass ----> Amp <----Pandora (via "Send" and "Receive" ports on amp). If it goes Bass --> Pandora --> Amp, where on the amp does the Pandora plug into? "Receive"? If so, what is "Send" for?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:41 am

zsquad wrote:I thought it went Bass ----> Amp <----Pandora (via "Send" and "Receive" ports on amp). If it goes Bass --> Pandora --> Amp, where on the amp does the Pandora plug into? "Receive"? If so, what is "Send" for?
Yeah it does. Send is for headphones, it's "sending" the sound out to the headphones.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 am

I always plug my bass straight into my effects then straight into the normal bass input jack on my amp. Not all amps have an effects loop, and saves the amount of cables you need.

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 am

yea thats true, its one less cable. but then what is an effect loop for?

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:12 am

the loop in an amp usually comes after the pre-amp (wiring wise) so if u use the effects loop then the sound from the pre amp goes to the effects as well
secondly u can use the send/recieve for bi-amping

oh and by the way there are no jack to jack cables delivered with the korg so you will have to buy some yourself.
also i recommend buying a dc/ac adapter for it because it drains batteries and when running of USB power you get a nasty 50hz hum

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:57 am

so which produces better sound? using the effect loop or not? that is ultimately all i care about ha

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 am

well the korg is essentially a preamp so if u have an expensive valve amp then plug the korg into the bass input at the front
but if u have an amp where the pre-amp isnt that good then i would plug it directly into the recieve

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:58 pm

yea my amp is not very special or expensive or anything, i think ill just use the effect loop. do i use send and receive, or just receive?

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:25 pm

just use recieve
the it would go Bass -> Korg -> Power Amp
if u used the send + recieve it would be
Bass-> Pre-amp -> Korg-> Power Amp

also u use less cable

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:51 am

what do you mean by pre-amp? like the amp head? cuz i have a combo amp, and the built-in head it has has send and receive ports on the back of it. it has input for guitar on the front and send and receive on back. if i used send and receive, would it be:
bass --> amp via front input outlet
korg ---> amp via send AND receive on back
? sorry i guess im kinda a slow learner when it comes to this stuff. ive only been playing bass for 4 months or so, so i guess im kind of a noob ha

also, the cord i have for my bass is supposedly made for bass (the brand is Monster, in case you were wondering or if it matters at all). if i went bass--->korg--->amp, would i want the bass cable going bass--->korg or korg---->amp? i figure bass--->korg, but i just want to make sure

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:55 am

You have 2 things making up an amp/head in simple terms
the pre-amp this controls gain and may contain a pre-shape settng to change the gain structure
And the power amp (eq, volume etc.)

When plugging the effect unit from to send jack you are placing them after the pre-amp (gain) but before the power amp.

That's how it works on mine i believe.

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:54 am

sounds simple enough. one last question: i bought my amp used, and it came with a distortion on/off footswitch (my amp has some distortion built in, although it is not very good). could i still use the pedal to turn the use of the effect loop on/off? i guess what i'm really asking is do i turn on the effect loop by turning on distortion on the amp? or do i simply turn the pandora off if its on the effect loop?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down