Free Bass guitar lessons

what to buy: effects or a 5 string?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: what to buy: effects or a 5 string?

Post  DubHertz on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:49 pm

zsquad wrote:what are some 5 strings with a 35" scale?

The scale referes to the distance between the nut and the bridge. Please read this;

CLICK HERE

With regards to strings, just as BlackF89 states it depends what sound you are looking for. I suggest you ahve a chat with somebody at a local music store or find out what kind of strings your favourite bass player uses. For instance, in the 70's most reggae was recorded through a Jazz bass with flatwound strings, hence my most used guitar is a Jazz bass with D'addario chromes. personally I wouldnt recommend Fender strings (floppy B string), or Warwick Red label (way too zingy) but saying that dependant on the sound you are looking for you may like them so as you can see that each persons view is going to be different. Stay away from really cheap strings from the internet, I tried this once got a set for around £6 from Ebay and they sounded really dull and produced less output from the guitar.

The problem bassists always have is the cost of strings making it difficult to try different brands as often as we would like.

But there is a commonality with new basses, the first thing to do is to change the strings. This is especially true with mass produced lower priced guitars, they are always let down by the strings. The manufacturers will find the most cost effective strings so that the saving on the strings can be passed on to the buyer.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:51 pm

zsquad wrote:How long do steel and nickel rounds last? Well I guess I should say how long do they last for you, and how often do you play? I'm sure it depends on how much you play them, I'm just looking for a rough time estimate between nickel and steel

Well I keep a bass strung with nickels a bass strung with steel and now a bass with flats on lol. I play the bass with nickels on the least at the moment, I'd say you're probably looking at them lasting a month or two less than the steels, but I love the sound of new nickel strings. some people never change there strings. James Jamerson always used the same flats on his p bass... ;o

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:08 am

I haven't changed mine for about a year.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:17 am

I have a regular 34" neck if I'm not mistaken and there's no problems with a floppy B. Sure it is floppier than the E, but not so much that it's unplayable.

As for strings, I tried Pro Steels by D'addario and Warwick Reds, no problems with either.

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:05 am

out of curiousity, about how much does it cost to get a 5 string strung? i havent replaced strings on a bass yet and figure it costs something

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:49 am

You can do it yourself for free, its really easy to do

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:40 pm

But if I do it myself, won't I end up with extra string hanging on the guitar? I've seen acoustic guitars with that look and I think it looks gross

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Put the string through the bridge and stretch it two pegs past the one you're using, then cut it.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:24 pm

So there will still be little stubs past the knobs? Or will there not be?

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:07 pm

In most cases, there's a hole in the peg where you put the end of the string and bend it over into the slot. Then you Wrap it around the peg with the string perpendicular to the nut.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:34 pm

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_string_change/know_thy_bass.html

extremely thourough guide on changing bass strings
generally for techniacal stuff that website is quite good

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:49 pm

maxf13 wrote:http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_string_change/know_thy_bass.html

extremely thourough guide on changing bass strings
generally for techniacal stuff that website is quite good
I used that guide. It's really good, although the string changing process is quite forward. It errs a bit on the side of giving too much information, while it's just:
- Turn tuning peg.
- Get of string.
- Clean freboard.
- Get on new string through the bridge
- Cut new string
- Wind up

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Garth on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:41 pm

I think the matter of choosing effects or a new 5 string bass is solely based on what you want to focus on. There are many great bassist out there that do some wild things on just 4 strings and effects allow for an even wider range of things you can perform. The 5 string gives you a low B, which can be quite essential for really heavy music. As you said already, you don't think you can play any songs that require a 5 string bass, so perhaps you can continue to pursue technique on your 4 string. I mean, there are plenty of difficult songs that can challenge you on a 4 string, the effects will just allow you to experiment new and unique sounds. And if you ever want to play a heavy song, there's always drop C tuning (drop B is also possible, just the E get's REALLY loose when tuned down that far).

So in your situation, I'd recommend the sound effects.

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 pm

I think I'm gonna go with the 5 string. While I may not be able to play entire songs requiring 5 strings, I feel I am close to being able to play some songs that I know. The extra string will also teach me how to be more precise with my fingers, especially with slap and pop.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:15 pm

the b string is usefull even if u dont need the low notes
it allows you to play a lot of riffs while avoiding open strings

very usefull

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:23 am

right now, i am probably gonna get slinkys or super slinkys because they are what dman uses and i have no idea what others i would use (i have to start somewhere, right?). as for the floppiness problem, which would solve the problem better: the regular or super slinkys?

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:50 am

Super are lighter gauge so you should probably go with those.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:57 am

I thought heavier gauges were better for floppiness. didn't Maximo recommend thicker strings, and isn't that what a higher gauge is? What actually would solve the flopiness problem? I don't think the gauge difference is that big between either, so I'm
sure either would work fine. I'm just curious as to which would be tighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:59 am

Oh shit, you're right. I got it mixed up.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:00 am

Ha then I'll go with the regulars

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:26 pm

zsquad wrote:right now, i am probably gonna get slinkys or super slinkys because they are what dman uses and i have no idea what others i would use (i have to start somewhere, right?). as for the floppiness problem, which would solve the problem better: the regular or super slinkys?

Regarding string choice look in the GEar Chat section for a topic called "interesting Information"

There is a link to web based magazine with a thorough review of bass strings.

Hope this helps

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 am

that helps a lot, thanks dubhertz. the d'addario XL nickels look like they produce the balanced sound i'm looking for, but they have a slightly smaller gauge of the B string than the regular slinkys (the XLs 125, the slinkys have 130. the gauges of the other strings are identical). how much of a difference would that gauge difference make in terms of B string floppiness?

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Well to add another ingredient to the pot, your choice of string guages are also going to be affected by the guitar that you have. The nut at the head end of the neck is usually cut by design for certain string guage sets.

What I mean by this is that if your bass was setup for 45-125 guage and you wish to change to 50-130 guage you would need to file the grooves in the nut to accomodate for the larger guage strings. I wouldnt recommend trying this yourself as it is too easy to mess up - bring it to a luthier.

So before you decide on a set of strings, check the specs of your particular bass.

The best and most rigid B-string I have played is a set of D'Addario Chromes (Flatwound) that I have on my Jazz bass. But if you like really trebley zingy strings then flatwounds are not for you. Also the tightest B in roundwounds is on my 7 string but this is tight due to the 35" scale instead of 34" on many 5 strings out there.

The problem is that with bass strings being so expensive most players will only ever try one or two brands on their lifetime so most opinions come from a persons favourite strings or recommendations from others or what is available in the musoc shop at the time. I dont think that any of us will get the time or opportunity to try every brand of string that is out there.

I am beginning to like LaBella's but this is due to a set already being installed on a my Hohner Headless bass I got a couple of weeks ago. All of my other guitars have been furnished with D'Addarios.

For further reading CLICK HERE

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:16 pm

zsquad wrote:that helps a lot, thanks dubhertz. the d'addario XL nickels look like they produce the balanced sound i'm looking for, but they have a slightly smaller gauge of the B string than the regular slinkys (the XLs 125, the slinkys have 130. the gauges of the other strings are identical). how much of a difference would that gauge difference make in terms of B string floppiness?

im using those strings and they sounds really nice
the d and g strings are a touch thin tho, they seem to lack bassiness
also i would advise getting a 130 b string cause the 125 is a bit floppy

Back to top Go down

Post  zsquad on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 pm

k i found some other D'Addario strings. the EXL 170-5's have the same gauges as the regular slinkys (.45, .65, .80, .100, .130), and the EXL 160-5's are slightly thinker by .05 on all strings. the 160-5's are also used by one of my favorite bassists in Dan Briggs. However, Briggs plays for Between the Buried and Me, and i imagine that he is trying to get a really deep sound to fit into the metal/hardcore music that BTBAM plays. I personally am looking for a fairly balanced tone, something that I could get to work with various genres (I know part of that depends on the guitar, but I also know that the strings still matter), and I am worried that the 160-5's will be too deep for me. your guys' thoughts?

also, dubhertz, the bass im going to buy is a 34" scale and has a 2.008" nut width, according to guitarcenter.com. im not exactly sure what the nut width means as far as what gauge to buy, but hopefully you or someone else here does geek

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top