Free Bass guitar lessons

Benefits of a five string over a four string?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Benefits of a five string over a four string?

Post  doofy2020 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:57 pm

just seen a really sexy 5 string bass in dawsons. (i know im insane for finding a guitar sexy.) a red yamaha one for £450. After spending an hour trying to convince myself not to buy it, i came home and wondered... whats the benefit of having a 5 string bass over a four? or isnt there a benefit apart from having a fith string?

tho please be nice with your answers, as they could make me stay at home with my four string guitars or run back to dawsons to get it...

Back to top Go down

Re: Benefits of a five string over a four string?

Post  BlackF89 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:16 pm

more range and you don't have to down tune is basically it. although stryf I'm sure will have a lot more to add

he always does Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:18 pm

doofy2020 wrote:i know im insane for finding a guitar sexy.
I disagree. I think some guitars are sexy, too!
But, alas, this topic isn't about sexy guitars, but about 5-stringers.

The extra string in itself isn't really a benefit. It's what you can do with it. It gives you much more low end and attains a sort of growl that drop D tuning can't achieve. It's really cool.
Also, you'll be able to play riffs with moving your hands less, since you can just go down one string to play some lower notes. You can cover 3 octaves at once, I think...

If it plays well, and you like it, buy it!

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

You will find it a bit difficult to play at first but just get used to using the B string as a thumbrest and plucking the B when necessary. I suggest that you try it first in the shop to see if you ccan get on with it,

The major advantage of the B string is when you need that extra low note without having to navigate down the fretboard. Jusst look for it on the B string. Its great for massive octave shifts

Oops TLS you beat me to it. lol!

I think this thread should be in the gear chat section.

Back to top Go down

Post  doofy2020 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:32 pm

wasnt really sure where to put this topic, so i figured as i will be learning about the 5 string somewhat might as well put it here.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top