Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to stop strings from vibrating

3 posters

Go down

How to stop strings from vibrating Empty How to stop strings from vibrating

Post  MetalJacob Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Okay so how do you stop your fingers from hitting the strings above them? Or stop them from vibrating? I know Dman said that while playing bass you can move your thumb down and rest it on the string above but that seems rather difficult while also focusing on everything else(Im very new at bass). Are there any other way to do this?

On a semi related topic,playing bass with a pick, I dont but just curious for If I ever do, how do not hit the other strings with the pick or stop them from vibrating?
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

How to stop strings from vibrating Empty Re: How to stop strings from vibrating

Post  BlackF89 Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:10 am

MetalJacob wrote:Okay so how do you stop your fingers from hitting the strings above them? Or stop them from vibrating? I know Dman said that while playing bass you can move your thumb down and rest it on the string above but that seems rather difficult while also focusing on everything else(Im very new at bass). Are there any other way to do this?

On a semi related topic,playing bass with a pick, I dont but just curious for If I ever do, how do not hit the other strings with the pick or stop them from vibrating?
using your thumb is the best way, but if you practise it shouldn't be an issue... there's always the floating thumb technique where you just lay your thumb on the strings which mutes the ones you aren't playing

as for the pick question... practise
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:03 am

When i play, i mute the string above with my other finger...
when i pluck with my index my middle in on the string above it, when my index touches the string i move my middle and use it while muting with my index.

With a pick i tend to pluck outward so my pick moves out of the way of the string, im sure its not the 'right' way of doing things, but it works for me.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down