Free Bass guitar lessons

How to figure out which note goes in which octave on the note map given in the notes on fretboard topic?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to figure out which note goes in which octave on the note map given in the notes on fretboard topic?

Post  intunegp999 on Fri May 07, 2010 10:37 pm

In the topic How to read notes on the fretboard topic a picture of the fretboard is given with all the notes. But how to know whether a C in the A-string and C in the E string are in the same octave? If a picture of the fretboard with notes and which octave the note belonged to it would be easier.

Back to top Go down

Re: How to figure out which note goes in which octave on the note map given in the notes on fretboard topic?

Post  Dropthelines585 on Fri May 07, 2010 10:53 pm

That had to be the most confusing thing I've ever read.
Someone translate so I can be more helpful.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to figure out which note goes in which octave on the note map given in the notes on fretboard topic?

Post  lololiet on Fri May 07, 2010 10:57 pm

I think he, or she, is wondering how you know if, say, a G on the D string is actually part of the same scale as a G on the E string.
I think
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Fri May 07, 2010 11:03 pm

I thought it was a strange question too
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon on Fri May 07, 2010 11:08 pm

I think the question is what is an octave, how to find an octave, and how to know that you are playing an ocave.
(If so.)
C on the E string, and C on any other string is an octave.
An octave is half or double the frequency, if you play two C's you are always playing an octave, but A and C will never be an octave.

Quick rule to remember an octave is 2 strings down and 2 frets down.
So 5th on the E and 7th on the D, both would be an A

The wording is kinda wierd, so it doesn't hurt to spitball right?

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Sat May 08, 2010 9:26 am

Is it that hard?

You only need to know this:
If you play the fifth fret on any string, it's the same note as you play when you play the open string above it. So the fifth fret on the E-string is the same as an open A. The fifth fret on the A-string is the same as an open D etc. The octave knowledge follows from this. Wink

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra on Sat May 08, 2010 10:15 pm

.... Didnt someone post the exact same Q a couple days ago and I linked him to that post with that image :S

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy on Sun May 09, 2010 9:15 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:Is it that hard?

You only need to know this:
If you play the fifth fret on any string, it's the same note as you play when you play the open string above it. So the fifth fret on the E-string is the same as an open A. The fifth fret on the A-string is the same as an open D etc. The octave knowledge follows from this. Wink

And the seventh fret of (for example) the D string is an octave of an open A string.
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  turboscrew on Mon May 10, 2010 8:26 am

Is this what you have been looking for?

http://www.alfred.com/img/pdf/BOP/FingeringCharts/Electric_Bass.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top