Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning Strings

+3
Drakon7
Dropthelines585
MetalJacob
7 posters

Go down

cleaning - Cleaning Strings Empty Cleaning Strings

Post  MetalJacob Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Some of my strings were rusted near the bridge so I decided to clean em and remove the rust using WD40.Was this a bad idea?How should I get rust off my strings normally,or is this okay?
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

cleaning - Cleaning Strings Empty Re: Cleaning Strings

Post  Dropthelines585 Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:14 pm

I swear by ghs fast fret string cleaner.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:34 am

Ernie Ball string wipes are really epic, too.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:38 am

Really what I wanted to know is, is there anything wrong with using WD40? I read that it's just fine for cleaning guitar strings, just wanted to make sure with the *cough* experts.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:25 am

WD-40 its a lubricant so it shouldn't attract dirt as far as i know.
I think its only good for moisture issues tho, its not a good replacement for string cleaner, but it should fix that issue with rust, and help prevent it from happening again.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 am

Blackdragon wrote:WD-40 its a lubricant so it shouldn't attract dirt as far as i know.
I think its only good for moisture issues tho, its not a good replacement for string cleaner, but it should fix that issue with rust, and help prevent it from happening again.

I think i should correct myself, something seemed off so i checked with someone i know, and i had it backwards.
When you spray WD40, it should(will) help with the rust, but when it evaporates it leaves and oil that attracts dirt.
So it'll help with the rust, but you'll want to make sure you remove the oil from the bass.

Thats what my mechanic friend said at least, so i think it would be right.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  brk32 Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:56 am

I honestly wouldn't put anything like that on my strings... I wouldn't want it to actually get on the bass and I'm just playin a squire jazz bass

If it were me I would just put new strings on the bass... they won't set you back to much and new strings play awesome Smile
brk32
brk32

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 am

I have a bottle of Planet Wave string cleaner and lubrcant. Since a bottle is pretty cheap and adds life to your strings its worth it to invest on a bottle.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:39 pm

how long does a bottle of the planet wave string stuff last. (im too lazy to type the entire item name) I use what i think is what DTL said earlier, Its called fast fret something (string lubricant i think)
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:25 pm

I"ve had a bottle for about 6 months and it almost looks new.
I only clean my strings once a month, but it says to clean them every time you play for best results.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  LearnToSwim Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:19 am

I've heard that boiling your strings gets all the dirt and grime out from between the winds.
Probably wouldn't work for the rust part, but maybe with the oil residue after using WD40.
I haven't done this yet, but might try it after the set I have lose their brightness. cat
LearnToSwim
LearnToSwim

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:05 am

LearnToSwim wrote:I've heard that boiling your strings gets all the dirt and grime out from between the winds.
Probably wouldn't work for the rust part, but maybe with the oil residue after using WD40.
I haven't done this yet, but might try it after the set I have lose their brightness. cat

My bass teacher(real life) did this he said it's a good short term fix, but it ruins them. If i recall Dman has a blog post about it as well - i'll look for it and edit it in.
If you need your strings for a gig, and can you buy new strings the next day - then its worth doing, but thats about it.

EDIT:
The link
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down