Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning Chords?

2 posters

Go down

Learning Chords? Empty Learning Chords?

Post  Erix Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Picked up bass about a month ago and have been learning a few tabs, and from the videos on the website, however, I keep hearing about chords when I play with other people, who fail to be able to explain them to me. Apparently this is getting in the way of me writing my own music. Are the necessary?

Erix

Back to top Go down

Learning Chords? Empty Re: Learning Chords?

Post  Malastare Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:49 am

Do you mean chords in general? Or just on the bass?

On the bass, no - you can be an excellent bass player without them - but there are some very interesting things you can do with bass chords that can really spice up a bass line. You can look at Dman's videos of his bass solo work to appreciate this. If you write songs on your bass, then the ability to play a chord can help you understand how a guitarist or pianist would approach a bass line.

If you mean in general - well.

A chord is more than one note played together. If you play two notes on your bass you are playing a chord. If you play one note at the same time as a guitarist, you are forming a chord. There are thousands of potential chords, and many thousands more ways of playing them. Chords move from the most basic combination of blended notes in the major scale to the most intricate diminished passing chord or 6/9 addition. They are fascinating, and after a decade of learning advanced musical theory I am still finding interesting new permutations of them!

A lesson on basic chord theory can be easily found through a Google search, but you may find that the Cool Chords videos will nbe helpful.
Malastare
Malastare

Back to top Go down