Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alternative Recording Options

4 posters

Go down

Alternative Recording Options Empty Alternative Recording Options

Post  Pippynip Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:45 pm

K, so the headphone out>splitter>lead>adapter>line in system inexplicably no longer works on the computer downstairs. I don't know why, it was working perfectly when I was testing it out a couple of weeks ago. I've tried everything to get it working again. But it refuses to, the recording is there but I need to boost the gain by about 20dB to make it audible, which sounds horrible. So basically I need to look at alternative ways of recording stuff, for the collab and for my own amusement.

I've thought about it and decided that the best thing to do would be to plug my bass directly into my computer. Thing is, I need something to boost the signal, don't I? How would I go about doing that? (No, I am not going to buy a new amp with a line-out. Funds is stretched, yo.)

HALP PLZ
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Alternative Recording Options Empty Re: Alternative Recording Options

Post  maxf13 Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:52 pm

there are headphone amps
i believe that the VOX Amplug is one.
Some of the people on the forum have one i think.
i dont think they should be too expensive
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:56 pm

You'd need some sort of preamp. Which costs money... You could get a signal booster pedal, such as the Electro Harmonix LPB-1, which is £30. But ideally you'd want a proper USB interface, which'll obviously cost a bit more but it's worth it in the long run I think

(I didn't see maxf's post before writing this... What he said is good advice too. Those Amplugs are £30)
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Yeah I googled the amplug, but the website seems to say nothing about recording. I guess me and my still-noobish ways just discarded it because it didn't say YES HELLO YOU CAN RECORD WITH THIS

And £30 doesn't seem to be a big deal. I can just not buy the odd PS3 game. It's ok, I don't need them anyway. Really. Razz

So right then, the amplug it is. I assume you use a cable and plug it from the headphone out on the amplug to the line in on the computer? Or is there a line-out on the amplug?
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:29 pm

well there the problem
ideally you would need a splitter, so u can treat one as your bass signal output thing for ur amp/headphones and the other one going into ur pc
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Already got one Smile
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 am

Cheap audio interface. Line 6? Suppose to give some fantastic results with the units built for bass/guitar so no need for a pre-amp.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Hmm... I dunno, 'cause if I get the amplug that means I can be lazy and use that when I can't be arsed to use my proper amp Razz

Yeah, I'll get the amplug. Although I'll keep them audio interfaces stored in my brainpan in case I'll need one in the future Smile
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down