Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Left hand (thumb) technique.

3 posters

Go down

Left hand (thumb) technique. Empty Left hand (thumb) technique.

Post  quipeace Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Hello guys,

I've been playing bass for just over two weeks now, and I think it's going pretty well, now using a right hand technique they seem to call "the floating anchor" which seems to work pretty well, the only thing I'm wondering about is my left hand.

I've watched lots of Youtube videos and they all say keep your thumb perpendicular to the neck, not parallel. I've got my thumb resting on the neck at approx 60 degrees, having it perpendicular really hurts my wrist and makes my fingers feel stiff.

So my question of today is: is this something I should try to get used to, or is having it slightly at an angle not a big deal anyway?
Thanks for all your help Wink

quipeace

Back to top Go down

Left hand (thumb) technique. Empty Re: Left hand (thumb) technique.

Post  SuperMaximo93 Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Perpendicular to the neck? Don't do that unless its only for a second or two to make it easier to play something, as it puts your hand in an uncomfortable and cramped position. If something hurts, stop. Watch this video, it's exactly what you need:

Hope this helps! Smile
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  quipeace Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks a lot for the video, just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something something I would have to correct later.

Thanks Very Happy.

quipeace

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:47 pm

quipeace wrote:Thanks a lot for the video, just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something something I would have to correct later.

Thanks Very Happy.

You just did something that you are going to have to correct later.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  quipeace Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:51 pm

MetalJacob wrote:
quipeace wrote:Thanks a lot for the video, just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something something I would have to correct later.

Thanks Very Happy.

Umm why? As far as I know I've been playing the last two weeks in this "natural position", I just watched some youtube videos, tried it out and wondered whether it was me or if my hand should just slowly get used to being in that position.
I obviously wasn't sure of that, otherwise I would have never posted my question Smile.

Thanks for the quick responses anyway, and even more for the great vids Wink

quipeace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:54 pm

No problem, if you have any other questions always feel free to ask Smile There's always someone in the forum that can give you an answer
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:09 pm

quipeace wrote:
MetalJacob wrote:

Thanks Very Happy.

Umm why? As far as I know I've been playing the last two weeks in this "natural position", I just watched some youtube videos, tried it out and wondered whether it was me or if my hand should just slowly get used to being in that position.
I obviously wasn't sure of that, otherwise I would have never posted my question Smile.

Thanks for the quick responses anyway, and even more for the great vids Wink

I was referring to your post,because you put something twice.But just ignore it,I was being a butthead anyways.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down