Free Bass guitar lessons

Jacob's Questions thread!

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jacob's Questions thread!

Post  MetalJacob on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:40 am

Like if someone were to say,"play some punk!" or "play some metal!" and you're just gonna make up something by yourself,how do you make a style sound like one or the other?

I'm sure there's a thread or something dman did already about this and I can't just find it,can someone point me in the right direction if there is?

And if there's not,teach me? Very Happy

Last edited by MetalJacob on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Jacob's Questions thread!

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:47 am

Well if you want to play in a different style you'll want to get into the mindset of a person playing that style and think about what techniques are typically used. So if you were doing punk (imagine it to be generic punk Razz) then you might want to play with a pick and hammer 8th note root notes. If you were playing a different style, like funk, you would probably want to play with fingers and make up a more syncopated line, with rhythm variations, mutes, etc.

Just listen to all sorts of music and analyse what the bass player is doing

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:12 am

Hmm so if I were to just make up some random riff on the spot,how would it go into a classification?

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:24 am

You'd have to compare it to existing basslines. If it was a stream of notes it might probably be rock

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:51 pm

I hate to make a new thread every time I have a question,because I have a lot of them...so this is now my question thread where I'll ask everything and not have to spam out the boards. Razz

So I'm having trouble playing standing up.Anyone got any tips for this?

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Yeah I had the same problem, what I did is I set my bass at the same height as it is when I'm sitting down, if that makes sense. It probably looks fairly silly considering I'm reasonably tall and most my height is in my legs, but whatever, I'd rather look silly and play well than look normal and play horribly.

Also just try simply playing standing up more.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:34 am

Yeah I'm also fairly tall and always practice sitting down,but like to have my bass low as I play standing up for looks.(Very self conscious) I'll just play standing up all the time then.But I have a slight gut and makes it a bit harder Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:14 am

MetalJacob wrote:Yeah I'm also fairly tall and always practice sitting down,but like to have my bass low as I play standing up for looks.(Very self conscious)
Don't do this. Please. Even if you are very self conscious. You should always have your bass at the most comfortable hight, and as Pip said, it's better to "look silly and play well than look normal and play horribly". Plus if you can play well, regardless of hight, then most people will look past the look and admire your playing... Which will make you look cool, regardless of how stupid you think you look. Also, having the strap as low as possible kinda gives the 'noob metal kid' image IMO

Sorry if any of this may have offended you or anything, but playing better will make you look cooler than having low straps... Maybe set the strap to the most comfortable height then lower it a teeny bit

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:35 am

+1.

Which would you rather was said about you; "He looked a bit odd didn't he, but christ he was good!" or "He looked awesome, it's a pity he sucked..."

I know which I'd choose. Smile

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:50 pm

Honestly I'd probably pick "He looked awesome, it's a pity he sucked..." but I know you guys are right!I'll try not to think about how I look and wear it higher.Thanks guys!

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 am

Next question...what is this sound?And why is my amp making it? It's not distorted.

mediafire.com ?6afbpb4fu3hcqog

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:32 am

MetalJacob wrote:Next question...what is this sound?And why is my amp making it? It's not distorted.
That's definitely distortion Razz But in a bad way. You've probably got the volume too high, which pushes the speaker too much and causes it to distort. This is damaging the speaker. Turn down until all the distortion is gone. Distortion pedals don't do this and are safe, however

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:42 am

Aight yeah seems good now,thanks.Feel like a complete idiot that I didn't figure that out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:15 pm

Try not using the pre-amp on your bass. If you want to change the sound, do it on the amp, not with the knobs on the bass. I usually get that sound when I try to change the bass on my bass instead of doing it on the amp.
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:39 am

Alright so I think I'm getting bored of my bass.I don't really seem to have an interest in playing it lately and I haven't progressed in like 2 weeks.There's no way in hell I want to stop learning but I don't know what to do...

Back to top Go down

jytjyt

Post  willba on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:28 pm

The nice thing about the forum now is alot of questions have been answered so theres a library of answers available alot of the time.

Heres a similar thread

http://freebasslessons.forumotion.com/general-chat-f3/i-feeling-stuck-with-my-playing-t1133.htm?highlight=stuck
willba
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:00 pm

That's not exactly what I was saying,I meant I'm getting bored with playing in general.BUT I've noticed myself being slightly depressed lately and realized it's because I've been sleeping during all the hours that there is sunlight outside and not getting my Vitamin D.So I figure once I go out in the sun for awhile, I'll also want to play bass more.Guess I coulda waited to figure that out,and this post is completely non-bass related. Razz Thanks though Willba!

Last edited by MetalJacob on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Write down a list of things you need to improve on (be hard on yourself) and work on those things one by one. If you're struggling to think of something to do, then take a look at the list and get working! One thing I recommend is to learn some music theory if you haven't already. Another good thing to do is to join a band or just simply do some jamming with other people, it helps give a sense of purpose to your practice

...(I think I need to take my own advice Razz)

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 am

Alright,so I just got a text from a good friend of mine who plays guitar and told me to come over and jam with him and a drummer tomorrow.I told him I don't know how to jam and he said,"So? You'll get it." Yea well I think hes wrong.I have no idea how to jam,I don't know any of my scales or anything and this guitarist doesn't know the names of chords or anything.So I'm absolutely clueless how I'm going to do this and I know I'll be really embarrassed. Can someone please teach me or give me a general idea how to jam?

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 am

MetalJacob wrote:Alright,so I just got a text from a good friend of mine who plays guitar and told me to come over and jam with him and a drummer tomorrow.I told him I don't know how to jam and he said,"So? You'll get it." Yea well I think hes wrong.I have no idea how to jam,I don't know any of my scales or anything and this guitarist doesn't know the names of chords or anything.So I'm absolutely clueless how I'm going to do this and I know I'll be really embarrassed. Can someone please teach me or give me a general idea how to jam?
Learn the minor pentatonic scale (the pattern is easy as pie), apply it on A or E and ask to play in that tonality (A minor or E minor). Your guitar player ought to know what to play in those tonalities. You are just going to use notes from the scale to create a riff you like. Over the course of the jam, you can change it. Also, I bet blues will be explained to you.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:17 am

Just play around and see what sounds good (its all you can do really if everyone doesn't know theory). For example, the drummer might start with a beat then the guitarist might play some chords. If you don't know any theory then a good way to make something up is to find out the notes that the guitarist is playing and make up some stuff using those notes. The first four strings of a guitar are the same tuning as on bass so you can use those for reference.

Alternatively you could mess around with notes and find one that sounds good. You'll KNOW when you hit that note. It will sound like magic, and you have to run with it, and don't lose it. In my band we tend to get magic moments semi-often (we know theory so that helps a fair bit Razz), and me and the singer/guitarist KNOW when that moment is, and we both have a massive grin on our faces at that particular moment that the magic happens. It's an awesome feeling Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25 am

So I just follow the rhythm and try to figure out randomly what notes go good with what the guitarist is playing?

Is it easier than it sounds?Or harder?

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:30 am

As long as two of you (either drums and bass or drums and guitar) play something solidly while the other person works something out it should be alright. Maybe make up a few riffs and jam with the drums and let the guitarist make something up. If the guitarist starts before you then look at what his hands are doing as a guide

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:42 am

Whenever I play with drums online,it always ends up sounding like made up crap that couldn't possibly be music.Which is why I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.If the guitarist starts first though I'll probably end up just copying exactly what he's doing. silent

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:13 am

Hmm... Well if you really feel that way then I guess you should start learning some theory (scales, etc.). Dman has a vid on the major scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top