Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jacob's Questions thread!

+11
maxf13
DavidM96
Davo 112233
Dropthelines585
lololiet
ThreeLetterSyndrom
willba
Some freaky guy
Pippynip
SuperMaximo93
MetalJacob
15 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Jacob's Questions thread! - Page 9 Empty Re: Jacob's Questions thread!

Post  MetalJacob Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:59 am

So a long time ago I asked about playing with my thumb resting entirely on the pickups. Now, I've still had a lot of struggle with this because it just wasn't ever comfortable (still not sure I'm doing it right.) But recently I decided to get more serious with my playing and knew that if I was to continue I had to get this down, so my technique has gotten better then before (although still not perfect, when standing my fingers hit the string in a way that you can tell it's different fingers) but I'm experiencing some pain. On the opposite side of the palm of my hand, where the finger bones move there seems to be a lot of stress there when I do this technique. Advice? And maybe I'm doing this technique wrong or am I just being a baby? I feel like no one else even questions how to do this and so I've gotta be doing something wrong or just not understanding it.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:20 am

You're either doing the technique wrong, or not conditioned for it. If you practice somewhat strainy techniques a lot without building up to that, you'll run into problems.
You'll want to lay off the technique and maybe play a little less bass. Make sure you do your warmup and mobility exercises (be gentle!), even throughout the day from time to time.

That's just general advice. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're doing and where it hurts. You mean the back of the hand? In that case, if your thumb is entirely on the pickup, you're probably overstretching. It'll get better with time, but be cautious and don't use it too much.

Of course, I'm not a medical professional and if problems persist you should see one, etc. etc.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Well, I'm totally against playing while resting my thumb only on the pickups. I move it around all the time in order to avoid this over-stretching thing.

I don't think you can do the technique "wrong", but I think you can be doing something that your hand is not conditioned to do... Just don't go overboard Smile

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:22 pm

I'll see if maybe I can get a video (don't currently have a camera) and maybe you can suggest tips on the technique. I still feel like it's wrong.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9