Free Bass guitar lessons

Jacob's Questions thread!

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Jacob's Questions thread!

Post  MetalJacob on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:16 am

Anyone got any tips on how to speed up your plucking hand?

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:50 am

Try playing with a metronome, and play at that speed with constant 8th notes (doesn't matter what the left hand is doing). When you know that playing consistently at that speed is a piece of cake, increase the speed a little. And repeat!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:21 pm

I like to use the blues scale on B when I do that, two of every note going up and down the scale. Sounds awesome.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:25 pm

I feel the need to thank every time I post in this thread. Thanks guys.

Now, lately I've been learning how to read music and learning about scales and stuff so I can be more creative and make better music. But I did that for about a week until I just totally felt crapped out on bass and didn't even want to touch it anymore. So I took a 3 day music hiatus to get myself back into it, and it worked. I've been playing my bass again and actually enjoying, but anytime I think that I have to go learn the scales and how to read music I get extremely bored and just put my bass down and completely forget about it. Now that wouldn't be a problem except, everything that I've been making up lately sounds like complete shit and it all sounds the same. And because of that I want to learn more scales and more theory to make it sound better. But as soon as I think about learning scales I just get bored and set my bass down again. It's a pretty nasty cycle. Any advice on what to do?

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:36 pm

If you get bored learning theory then dont do it.
I had to do it for piano and it does help but if its gonna make you not play your bass then dont bother.

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:37 pm

If I don't learn theory though, I won't want to play my bass either.

Back to top Go down

Post  willba on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Well do something that does make you want to play bass, and ignore theory.

Inspire yourself so that you are producing something that you dont think is terrible/repetitive, then you wont need theory (which you dont need anyway)
willba
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 pm

I really want to learn theory though. And do you have any advice on how to inspire myself? I know I've read Dman's things about being in a rut and how to come up with new stuff, but it doesn't really work.

Back to top Go down

Post  willba on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:18 pm

I was at a point where I wasnt doing much with mah bass, so I just looked at the songs I was listening to at that point in time, learnt a few and now I just keep playing them. (RCHP - Stone cold bush and Iron Maiden - The Trooper)

I only know basic theory, not much at all, I dont think ive been put at that much of a disadvantage by it.
willba
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:44 pm

Any songs that I listen to are way too fast for my fingers. I've been told you learn a song that's extremely hard and that's how you get better. Makes sense. But I can't find any songs that I can really learn at the moment that don't require robot fingers or make me feel discouraged.

Also, I think I may be slightly tone deaf which is why I want to learn theory. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Bass Mon on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:18 am

I find that lessons help

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:50 am

I think I've just got a bad case of apathy and no way to fix it.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:25 am

MetalJacob wrote:Any songs that I listen to are way too fast for my fingers. I've been told you learn a song that's extremely hard and that's how you get better. Makes sense. But I can't find any songs that I can really learn at the moment that don't require robot fingers or make me feel discouraged.

Also, I think I may be slightly tone deaf which is why I want to learn theory. Sad

use a pick?
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:45 am

No. I want to become better at playing with my fingers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:15 pm

I've been at this for a long damn time and don't know a lick of theory. I hate theory. Any one of you probably know more about it than I do. You can't be tone deaf and play bass, so there's some good news. You probably just have trouble identifying the notes.

I'll tell ya, the worst rut of my life was healed about 4 years ago when I stopped playing metal for a while and started playing hippie music. You should find some folks that are into that kind of stuff and jam with them. When I joined that band they said "play that thing like a lead guitar" and I think that being given that kind of flexibility brought me out of it. If you want me to suggest some bands I will gladly do so. Don't get discouraged, because theory is only as important as you make it.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Learning theory is one of my top priorities. I'm the type of person that loves knowledge and so learning theory feels necessary to me. I think I'm just really apathetic right now and it's killing me musically.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bass Mon on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:I've been at this for a long damn time and don't know a lick of theory. I hate theory. Any one of you probably know more about it than I do. You can't be tone deaf and play bass, so there's some good news. You probably just have trouble identifying the notes.

I'll tell ya, the worst rut of my life was healed about 4 years ago when I stopped playing metal for a while and started playing hippie music. You should find some folks that are into that kind of stuff and jam with them. When I joined that band they said "play that thing like a lead guitar" and I think that being given that kind of flexibility brought me out of it. If you want me to suggest some bands I will gladly do so. Don't get discouraged, because theory is only as important as you make it.
very insightful

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:12 pm

hmmm, jake, could your trouble be the fact that you might be getting to far into theory too quickly? Its probably better to read and practice a little theory at a time, and over time your knowledge will grow. Does that make any sense? im kinda doubting it does myself. Anyways, i should probably follow my own advice because this has interested me in theory Very Happy

DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:25 pm

I don't think I really know that much theory yet at all to be honest. And even If I did stop learning theory, I don't feel inspired to play because everything I've played lately is shit.

As I've stated twice now but I guess I'll ask, is it possible it's because I'm too apathetic at the moment?

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:41 pm

Sounds like you in a rut tbh
Just put down your bass for a while.
Pick it up again in a couple of days and see if you enjoy it more Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 pm

what im saying is take theory piece by piece. as for the apathetic part, i have no idea what that means XD
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Start looking a bit into some really simple scales and see if you can play something cool by jamming in them. Just look up an easy scale on Youtube and go from there.
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:58 pm

DavidM96 wrote:what im saying is take theory piece by piece. as for the apathetic part, i have no idea what that means XD

Apathy is not caring about stuff, I think.

Jake, do something else. If all you do is music, naturally it's going to get stale after a while, and then you have nothing.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:32 pm

Say pippy, how do you get that LastFM thing in you sig?
Also, as said before, MJ, try out some new music, I recommend Cream.
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:51 pm

Pippynip wrote:
DavidM96 wrote:what im saying is take theory piece by piece. as for the apathetic part, i have no idea what that means XD

Apathy is not caring about stuff, I think.

Jake, do something else. If all you do is music, naturally it's going to get stale after a while, and then you have nothing.

I suppose I need to find a 2nd interest? That's going to be hard.

Lololiet I have looked up new music, but I can't get into any of it if it isn't metal. I want to like more genres, but some reason I just don't. Although I like all the sub-genres of metal...except thrash.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top