Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What gauge are we using?

+2
Smaz
MET@LBASS
6 posters

Go down

What gauge are we using? Empty What gauge are we using?

Post  MET@LBASS Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:42 am

i some 50-105 stings today, they have a really weird metalic and agressive sound, they are a *female dog* to play with my fingers(i spend about 50/50 between fingers and pick). Is it just a bad brand or is this thinkness just not working for me?

MET@LBASS

Back to top Go down

What gauge are we using? Empty Re: What gauge are we using?

Post  Smaz Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:22 pm

What brand are they? I don't think there are any 'bad' brands, but everyone does have their own faveourite, and ones they do/don't get along with. New strings do have a very metallic sound, especially stainless steel ones. That usually dies down within a week or so, depending on how much you play of course Smile

I use 40 - 100 guage from Rotosound - I think they're great, the guage is a perfect for me. 45 - 105 guage seems to be the standard.
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  MET@LBASS Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:39 pm

yeah i just came from 40-100, but becuase i play mostly metal(suprise suprise) i thought id go up a little,and im not pleased with the results. They are D'Addario"bright" nickel wounds. i guess that just the name explains half of my problem lol.I have put about 10 hours of playing on these strings and not a whole lot has changed.

MET@LBASS

Back to top Go down

Post  Igastopheles Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Maybe you need to stretch them a little more, I dunno. D'Addarios are good strings, really. Do you play in drop tunings or not? Higher gauges are really better for drop tunings. Obviously they're still playable in standard tuning, but they're great for drop tunings because they can keep their tension better.

As for me I'm playing .45-.100 Ernie Balls at the moment. I like them but D'Addarios feel smoother, in my opinion.
Igastopheles
Igastopheles

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:51 pm

strings need time to get dirty, most strings sound crap straight out of the packet.
give it a week and they should be better.
i play a lot of metal too, mostly drop C, i'm getting some heavy 50-110's soon
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Timmyd045 Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:12 am

I use a "hybrid", but that's because I'm flat broke. It's hard for a 16 year old.

my 2 higher strings (D, G) are, coincidentally, ernie ball hybrids. They're not bad, but they don't have the same metallic ring that I love.
My 2 low strings are light gauge blue steels. I love their sound, and they last pretty long. If they ever die, I just pop em in a pot and boil them.

Don't judge me. I don't even have a car. How could I afford strings?
Timmyd045
Timmyd045

Back to top Go down

Post  MET@LBASS Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:35 am

Its ok man, i think most of us are a little bit on the "Oh dear God, I have no money at all, what am I going to do" side of life

If we were rich then We wouldnt play bass, We be playing golf.

I didnt know boiling the strings really gave them new life,mabey its somthing Ii need to try

MET@LBASS

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:16 pm

MET@LBASS wrote:Its ok man, i think most of us are a little bit on the "Oh dear God, I have no money at all, what am I going to do" side of life

If we were rich then We wouldnt play bass, We be playing golf.

I didnt know boiling the strings really gave them new life,mabey its somthing Ii need to try

Yea, that experiment I did on youtube was a success, and i've only just changed those strings!

But...I would only recommend it as a short-term remedy. A lot of people say it can rust the inside of the strings, and cause snappage. They also became even duller about a week after...

But in the short term, for me...it worked!
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Timmyd045 Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:51 pm

they only time i've ever had strings snap was when I pulled one of them back like a bowstring
Timmyd045
Timmyd045

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:20 pm

Timmyd045 wrote:they only time i've ever had strings snap was when I pulled one of them back like a bowstring

Ah man, i've had hundreds snap now. Most were at live gigs, traveling and stuff. I used to be a bit bad, and didn't have a case (grunge), and came in from the cold to the warm etc. Never good.

Had loads go live due to the energy we put into gigs. Luckily, I learnt to transpose notes at quite an early stage of my bass playing career. I can't mention how important that is...
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum