Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Bass for beginners?

+8
f8tlbyte
maxf13
danthewelshy
SuperMaximo93
Gonçalo
Dmanlamius
Spoon
Admin
12 posters

Go down

What Bass for beginners? Empty What Bass for beginners?

Post  Admin Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

What Bass for beginners? Empty Re: What Bass for beginners?

Post  Spoon Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:52 pm

I picked up a standard series Squier (special Edition) for £160 in Denmark Street (London UK) pop over there if your in the London area. There are a series of Music Shops there where the staff are helpful. The bass that I have got is very good and it plays very well. Amp wise I got a 15W fender Bass Amp at the same shop.

for £260 I got:

The Bass (commonly prised on the web at: £200)
The Amp (commonly prised on the web at: £70)
Lead (about £ if bought separately, 6ft)
Tuner with metronome (they only gave me 1/2 price on this 1 I paid an extra £10)
Gig Bag (made out of a similar material as most cheap straps. IDK how much this is priced at, wont be very good if gigging)
a Strap (standard cheap strap, no frills but reliable about £10 if bought without the deal)

I would Highly recommend going there if there are few decent musical shops in your area.
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Hey man! You read my FAQ, where I said I didn't join the army, and went to London to buy a bass instead?

Well, I got it in Denmark street! Great place! Very Happy
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:55 am

Dmanlamius wrote:
Well, I got it in Denmark street! Great place! Very Happy

Couldn't agree more. I do believe the stones recorded their first album there. turned more into a shopping street now. Didn't see any studios. But well worth the trip to anyone in the area.

as for the FAQ i have read it. XD
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Gonçalo Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:10 pm

Hello Mr Dmanlamius i am talking from portugal and i am a big fan of yours, in fact i started to want to play bass when i saw your youtube chanell 2 months ago and i immeadtly thinked: Damn i wanna play that!

Going to the subject...

I can't find any ibanez soundgear in portugal, but i came across with 2 pack's from fender squire for begginers but i don't know what to buy, fender squire jazz bass, fender squire p-bass or trying to buy a foreign ibanez but that's to hard because im only 15 years old.

Ill be waiting for your asnwer...

=D

Gonçalo

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Gonçalo wrote:Hello Mr Dmanlamius i am talking from portugal and i am a big fan of yours, in fact i started to want to play bass when i saw your youtube chanell 2 months ago and i immeadtly thinked: Damn i wanna play that!

Going to the subject...

I can't find any ibanez soundgear in portugal, but i came across with 2 pack's from fender squire for begginers but i don't know what to buy, fender squire jazz bass, fender squire p-bass or trying to buy a foreign ibanez but that's to hard because im only 15 years old.

=D

Both basses would be good, but Jazz basses are supposed to be generally more versitile. I tried a Fender Jaguar just last week which has a Jazz pickup configuration (except with an active preamp), and it sounded good Very Happy Depends on the music you would like to play really. I would reccomend the Jazz though (even though I have 2 P basses (well, a cheapo P, and a PJ Ibanez)). Do a YouTube search and see which bass you like the tone of more Smile
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Gonçalo wrote:Hello Mr Dmanlamius i am talking from portugal and i am a big fan of yours, in fact i started to want to play bass when i saw your youtube chanell 2 months ago and i immeadtly thinked: Damn i wanna play that!

Going to the subject...

=D

Hey

Fender Squire packs are quite good. I would go for a jazz bass as you get more tonal variation, you also get a amp and other extras with squire packadge so probally worth it.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Hello, Goncalo!

Yes, both these guys offer great advice.

Don't worry about waiting for an Ibanez. Make your decision concerning the fender (i'd personally get the jazz, also) and get it. That way you can get down, and start practising...

You can't really go wrong with a Jazz.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Gonçalo Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Ok, thx for the advices everyone ill post some photos of it when i get it Razz

Gonçalo

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:45 pm

i got my bass from ebay
i just typed in bass guitar starter pack and i got like 5 different ones
so i bought one pack for about 80£ including amp, pick, strap etc. etc.
when i got it i was suprised at how (relatively) good it was
the only thing that was wrong with it was that the action was a bit to high but once i changed that it was perfectly fine
i can only recommend buying a bass of ebay
just make sure u check the customer feedback first and if thats >99% then u should be fine.
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  f8tlbyte Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:41 pm

I see that this is a old post but I thought I would suggest craigslist also. You can usually find some pretty good deals on instruments on there.
f8tlbyte
f8tlbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:05 pm

f8tlbyte wrote:I see that this is a old post but I thought I would suggest craigslist also. You can usually find some pretty good deals on instruments on there.

If based in america then yes this is very good im told.

The uk version would be gumtree. Just go onto the website and select your city and then look in the section called musical instruments.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

What Bass for beginners? Empty Where can i get one in mexico

Post  chemorro Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:27 am

I really need a bass and i dont know where to get it in mexico everything is so frickin expensive i saw new bass but it wasnt any brand it was a comercial bass and it was on 179 dlls and then its without an amp so where do you recommend that i buy bass and also i checked on ebay in mexico and 379dlls is the price of a fender bass with an amp its really expensive

chemorro

Back to top Go down

Post  Bothwell Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:57 pm

I went for a Nevada P-Bass , Seems to do the job and I'm picking up the learning curve with it.

Everything about it seems cool , havent really seen any others to compare it with though.
Bothwell
Bothwell

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:27 pm

I know this is completly off topic.. and Im really sorry... but ..

I work in a place called Bothwell xD

That is all
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Bothwell Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:34 pm

akyra wrote:I know this is completly off topic.. and Im really sorry... but ..

I work in a place called Bothwell xD

That is all

Lol its actually my last name Razz

And there is also a cheese called "Bothwell"

Well you learn something new every day haha
Bothwell
Bothwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:50 am

Well, let me share my beginner bass recommendation too!

At first, I had a cheap bass from thomann, I paid 150 euros for an amp, a case, a cable and the bass.
It died. 1,5 year after I purchaced it, with numerous problems as bad intonation, very very high action, and all that.

After that, I bought a Yamaha RBX170 for about 270 euros (I guess this would be about 250$?), great sound, great pickups, (1x Precision and 1x Jass), has nothing to be jealous of 500$ p-deluxe basses. I love it really, made me start playing again. Reacts very good to chords, has good tone and can play almost every genre. Has an awesome s&p sound, as well as good metal or plain thumb-thumb.

I would recommend it definately for a first buy, to a beginner.
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:31 am

Well.. That was a long waited reply Razz
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:45 am

akyra wrote:Well.. That was a long waited reply Razz

Well I am long gone, so... hehe Razz
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down