Free Bass guitar lessons

So does this work in other bands?Picking on other people in the band.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: So does this work in other bands?Picking on other people in the band.

Post  Pastichio on Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:33 pm

Bass Mon wrote:In my area most guitarists have constant shred disorder

I'm a bassist and I have constant shred disorder lol

Nocturnal_Pulse wrote:

And most of the guitarists dont like bassists.

I've found the opposite is true in my band. We all have all lot of respect for each other and our skills. It was the lead guitarist that suggested I take a bass solo during one of our songs, giving me as much time as I wanted to solo to my hearts content. He even suggested I take a brief one in our latest song. He is a very gifted player and understands that a guitar solo can outstay its welcome (now he does love to solo) and that we should give him the nod when we feel it drags on a bit. They all understood when I joined that I wasn't the type of player to just plod along with 8 note roots and that if it suited the song I'll play something a little more complex, but if the song needs a simple bassline then I will do that. Its all about serving the song and not the ego.

Most guitarists that don't respect bassists aren't usually that experienced themselves. For any band to work there has to be respect for each member otherwise its a lost cause. I sometimes get the sense on this forum that there is a guitarist vs bassist thing going on, which I don't really understand at all. A band is the combination of all members working together, without each other we'd all be sitting at home in our bedrooms jamming by ourselves and patting ourselves on the back on how good we are. I doubt there is a huge audience out there for a lone guitarist (maybe more so than bassist) shredding away on stage. People love seeing a great band playing well with some hot shot guitarist playing his soul out, and yes people do love guitar heros more so than bass heros. But you understood that before you picked up the instrument, and there is nothing wrong being the unsung hero at that back,as it is your groove that allows the guitar hero to play out his soul.

Sorry for the long post I got a little carried away.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So does this work in other bands?Picking on other people in the band.

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:44 am

Pastichio wrote:
Bass Mon wrote:In my area most guitarists have constant shred disorder

I'm a bassist and I have constant shred disorder lol

Nocturnal_Pulse wrote:

And most of the guitarists dont like bassists.

I've found the opposite is true in my band. We all have all lot of respect for each other and our skills. It was the lead guitarist that suggested I take a bass solo during one of our songs, giving me as much time as I wanted to solo to my hearts content. He even suggested I take a brief one in our latest song. He is a very gifted player and understands that a guitar solo can outstay its welcome (now he does love to solo) and that we should give him the nod when we feel it drags on a bit. They all understood when I joined that I wasn't the type of player to just plod along with 8 note roots and that if it suited the song I'll play something a little more complex, but if the song needs a simple bassline then I will do that. Its all about serving the song and not the ego.

Most guitarists that don't respect bassists aren't usually that experienced themselves. For any band to work there has to be respect for each member otherwise its a lost cause. I sometimes get the sense on this forum that there is a guitarist vs bassist thing going on, which I don't really understand at all. A band is the combination of all members working together, without each other we'd all be sitting at home in our bedrooms jamming by ourselves and patting ourselves on the back on how good we are. I doubt there is a huge audience out there for a lone guitarist (maybe more so than bassist) shredding away on stage. People love seeing a great band playing well with some hot shot guitarist playing his soul out, and yes people do love guitar heros more so than bass heros. But you understood that before you picked up the instrument, and there is nothing wrong being the unsung hero at that back,as it is your groove that allows the guitar hero to play out his soul.

Sorry for the long post I got a little carried away.
Well, to me, the whole bass vs. guitar thing is nothing really more than a joke. In this sense, it builds a bond between members of the community. Wink

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2