Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Randing about some 'teachers' online

+8
lololiet
willba
DavidM96
ThreeLetterSyndrom
Dropthelines585
Drakon7
MetalJacob
Nocturnal_Pulse
12 posters

Go down

Randing about some 'teachers' online Empty Randing about some 'teachers' online

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:54 pm

OK you all know that I am a beginner, and ok I like logging in the Tube and find some other vids and courses of ordinary people (I dont mean the vids of Victor Wooten or Patitucci) TRYING to teach the bass.

I came along to one of them today (if you want to know who just sent me a msg I won't write it here) that after 2 vids (the first one was the parts of the bass guitar and the second the plucking tecnique) he runs on the 'how to make a groove' chapter.

Well I suppose if I was like 2 days new to bass I would be very frustrated.

He used the classic neat tecnique with low octave - high octave with a very bad way:

He used the fretboard hand with index finger on the E string 3rd fret and his PINKY on the fifth fret of the very same string. He hammer ons the fifth fret and then moves an octave higher to do the same finger pattern again with the same fingers.

Well excuse me, I play for 9 months now and still I don't have the proper strength or dexterity or flexibility to do it so quickly like he did (i think it was 8th notes). Pinky (to me) is the most difficult finger to practice in general.

And OK, why do you b*tchfesting all along, you would ask? It was a lousy video.

Yeah a lousy video that I found for free in this persons promotion "Beginner Pack" and that it costs 30 bux.
I am sad because they don't think, and if a kid or an adult tries to play that in the 3rd day the have their bass, they would be really frustrated and not to mention that they could even drop ther instrument. At least a good majority...

That's all.

Am just mad how people cannot name themselves teachers and won't think further from where they started playing.

That's why I like dman's vids and recently I purchaced his chord premium lesson? He is very good aware that "with practice comes the rest" and I like it when I listen to such taunts, make me want to try harder and harder.

Thanx for reading.

/b*&^%fest
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Randing about some 'teachers' online Empty Re: Randing about some 'teachers' online

Post  MetalJacob Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:47 am

/offtopic

This brings a question to me I've had for a while. Is cussing allowed on these forums?

/ontopic

Yea when I first started playing bass I remember being extremely annoyed with people's videos until I found Dman's.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Randing about some 'teachers' online Empty Re: Randing about some 'teachers' online

Post  Drakon7 Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:51 am

MetalJacob wrote:/offtopic

This brings a question to me I've had for a while. Is cussing allowed on these forums?

/ontopic

I'd fucking hope not.

Worth it.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:25 am

I think it was a rule once, but we'd all decided that most of us do it anyway. The ones that don't could give a damn.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:08 am

MetalJacob wrote:/offtopic

/ontopic
Dman doesn't mind as long as it's used in a proper fashion, I believe.
Bad: "Yo, man, what the fuuuuuuuck, I got my crapshit bass and brought it to da motherfuckin' store and got me one of these fucking Steinbergers, man! What the shit, that's a hell of a fucking difference!"
Good: "Goddammit, I can't get to seem that riff right!"

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:44 am

did anyone else just see this go off-topic after two replies?

annnyways,............yea i really have nothing to add here lol!

now i will put the part of my post i want noticed in bold....
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:15 pm

I guess thats what reviews are for, hopefully anyone wanting to buy something like that would do a bit of research before making a purchase.

Also:

https://freebasslessons.forumotion.com/general-chat-talk-about-anything-f10/language-swearing-t485.htm?highlight=swearing

Very Happy
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:00 pm

To get back on topic:

When I just started playing(damn, I sound old) I watched pretty much all (free) beginner bass courses on youtube and associated stuff and also found that A) the'd always progress in an abnormally high tempo and B) to my great annoyance really very often assume that beginning Bassists magically know the location of all the notes on the fretboard.

(were you talking about these lessons btw?http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/bass/lessons.html because I tried those too and found that instructor very scary indeed)
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:16 pm

lololiet wrote:To get back on topic:

When I just started playing(damn, I sound old) I watched pretty much all (free) beginner bass courses on youtube and associated stuff and also found that A) the'd always progress in an abnormally high tempo and B) to my great annoyance really very often assume that beginning Bassists magically know the location of all the notes on the fretboard.

(were you talking about these lessons btw?http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/bass/lessons.html because I tried those too and found that instructor very scary indeed)

Yes you are absolutely right, and when I learned the Cmaj scale I tried applying it on all fretboard but with no use, I didn't know the notes on FB but they keep saying "Hey you know the scale now do it chromatically on all your 24 frets with your metronome on 130".

As for the site, no it's not that, it's this one: http://www.easybassvids.com/ .

I didn't write it here because it's ugly to rant on other teachers lol but hey whatever!
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Nocturnal_Pulse wrote:

Yes you are absolutely right, and when I learned the Cmaj scale I tried applying it on all fretboard but with no use, I didn't know the notes on FB but they keep saying "Hey you know the scale now do it chromatically on all your 24 frets with your metronome on 130".

As for the site, no it's not that, it's this one: http://www.easybassvids.com/ .

I didn't write it here because it's ugly to rant on other teachers lol but hey whatever!
Easy, my ass! Razz

But, yeah, most 'beginner' lessons are made by very inexperienced teachers. It's like explaining a complex mathematical formula to someone who studies math, but only has the basics to understand it, while only using rigorous mathematical proving methods and writing everything down in symbols the person may not even know. All of this, of course, without a story to go with it and no real-life application given.

Took a look at on of the lessons. It isn't really any much better than a tab, really.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:38 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:
Nocturnal_Pulse wrote:

Easy, my ass! Razz

But, yeah, most 'beginner' lessons are made by very inexperienced teachers. It's like explaining a complex mathematical formula to someone who studies math, but only has the basics to understand it, while only using rigorous mathematical proving methods and writing everything down in symbols the person may not even know. All of this, of course, without a story to go with it and no real-life application given.

Took a look at on of the lessons. It isn't really any much better than a tab, really.

You have a very poetic way of explaining things!

Yes and I am mad because the lessons are 3 minute lessons.
And it really isn't EASY. Like you said, not better than a tab, and believe me with dman's vids and the tabs I AM understanding this instrument. They SUCK. Not nice being a cash-crow over any beginner's head. Thirty bucks for a can of carp!

(At least I got mine free with his promotion or else...!!)
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:09 pm

I Think the main problem is the experience of those online teachers is their experience. Some teachers will only be amateurs and, no matter how fast they can either slap or pop, don't have a clue how to organize a lesson, let alone a series of 'em. on the other hand you'll have a lot of truly very good, amazingly good possibly, Bass players who have long forgotten what it is to be a beginner like most of us on this forum.

Dman is an exception and a good online teacher because he's a truly very good, amazingly good possibly, Bassist who knows what he's talking about but also younger then 67 and can probably actually remember picking up a bass for the first time. Our beloved leader, Dman, obviously has the added benefit of being a truly wonderful and lovely man who really understand what goes on in the minds of us poor, foolish beginners and who we'd all, if we ever get the chance, gladly marry.

(no, I'm not sucking up, or flirting)

or am I... I must say that hat looked wonderful on you..
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:15 pm

lololiet wrote:I Think the main problem is the experience of those online teachers is their experience. Some teachers will only be amateurs and, no matter how fast they can either slap or pop, don't have a clue how to organize a lesson, let alone a series of 'em. on the other hand you'll have a lot of truly very good, amazingly good possibly, Bass players who have long forgotten what it is to be a beginner like most of us on this forum.

Dman is an exception and a good online teacher because he's a truly very good, amazingly good possibly, Bassist who knows what he's talking about but also younger then 67 and can probably actually remember picking up a bass for the first time. Our beloved leader, Dman, obviously has the added benefit of being a truly wonderful and lovely man who really understand what goes on in the minds of us poor, foolish beginners and who we'd all, if we ever get the chance, gladly marry.

(no, I'm not sucking up, or flirting)

or am I... I must say that hat looked wonderful on you..

LOL @ little letters!

You are absolutely right, I believe it's not only that he's not 70 years old thus all the beginning forgotten, but it's IN the person, I trully believe (me and House MD) that people don't change, we are what we are until we die, old and cocky. If someone has the GIFT to make people understand with simple words, he always be like it! I am sure Dman will never change as a teacher, and it's not a suck up or anything, he trully deserves to take love from us and maybe some bucks from the wonderful premium lessons because he's just a bassist that could do better than MANY other famous ones. He has the passion and the gift to transmit the knowledge, the passion to us.

The others just because internet is TRULLY wide, just peek in our wallets. That's very sad.
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Aww, cheers guys! Very Happy

I agree about the teaching thing, btw. I haven't looked at those two sites, and can't comment on them, but the overall standard of teaching on youtube isn't great. That's exactly why I started doing it!

In my RL job, I was getting violent drink and drug users off of the streets, and trying to introduce something positive in their lives and to get them inspired by something, that they would continue and have belief in. Thats a tough job btw. I've taught Bass to really messed up people. Had knives pulled on me, been threatened tons. It was hard.

But I figured out a way to connect with them as people, rather than tell them what they should and shouldn't do and put them down. I simplified everything they were learning, so that they would understand, and gain confidence. If their confidence was knocked slightly, they could go rob someone again, go on a drink/drug binge again, or worse. I had to make sure they got it, and I got better results than anyone has ever got there. I actually changed peoples lives for the better.

So I then thought 'hey, if I can teach borderline psychopaths how to play an instrument, I can sure as hell do it online as well. It was kinda similar in many ways.

No-one was simplifying it. No-one said, if you hit this it makes this noise. If you hit this other one, it makes this noise. String them together, and its a riff. Everyone seemed to go too fast, or confuse people. And yes, like you guys, I'd question the experience of many teachers!

I teach in many ways (not only bass), and I love it. Sometimes a life path presents itself to you, and you have to take it. Thats what happened to me. Thanks for the kudos guys, it lets me know that I am doing the right thing, and am on the right track still. Sometimes I need to hear it (gets lonely on the internet!)

Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm actually considering teaching guitar next. Crazy huh?
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07 pm

You should teach everything Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 pm

even bagpipes
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bass Mon Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:28 am

Yes!!!!!! Teach the guitar. Maybe you can make less guitarists total asses

Bass Mon

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:15 am

Dmanlamius wrote:Aww, cheers guys! Very Happy

I agree about the teaching thing, btw. I haven't looked at those two sites, and can't comment on them, but the overall standard of teaching on youtube isn't great. That's exactly why I started doing it!

In my RL job, I was getting violent drink and drug users off of the streets, and trying to introduce something positive in their lives and to get them inspired by something, that they would continue and have belief in. Thats a tough job btw. I've taught Bass to really messed up people. Had knives pulled on me, been threatened tons. It was hard.

But I figured out a way to connect with them as people, rather than tell them what they should and shouldn't do and put them down. I simplified everything they were learning, so that they would understand, and gain confidence. If their confidence was knocked slightly, they could go rob someone again, go on a drink/drug binge again, or worse. I had to make sure they got it, and I got better results than anyone has ever got there. I actually changed peoples lives for the better.

So I then thought 'hey, if I can teach borderline psychopaths how to play an instrument, I can sure as hell do it online as well. It was kinda similar in many ways.

No-one was simplifying it. No-one said, if you hit this it makes this noise. If you hit this other one, it makes this noise. String them together, and its a riff. Everyone seemed to go too fast, or confuse people. And yes, like you guys, I'd question the experience of many teachers!

I teach in many ways (not only bass), and I love it. Sometimes a life path presents itself to you, and you have to take it. Thats what happened to me. Thanks for the kudos guys, it lets me know that I am doing the right thing, and am on the right track still. Sometimes I need to hear it (gets lonely on the internet!)

And we thank you for that! Tottally! lol @ it was kinda similar in many ways

Dmanlamius wrote:I'm actually considering teaching guitar next. Crazy huh?

As long as you don't give up on bass lessons it's fine with me, maybe I'll grab my guitar again haha

Bass Mon wrote:Yes!!!!!! Teach the guitar. Maybe you can make less guitarists total asses

+Infinity
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Awesome! I'm dusting off the spandex and leathers, and practicing poses as we speak.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Definatly go for it.
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:02 am

Long live British hair metal!!!
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down