Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berklee College of Music

2 posters

Go down

Berklee College of Music Empty Berklee College of Music

Post  Redstarking Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:52 am

Hello, my name is Matt and Kris, you taught me everything I know about bass guitar. I have fallen away from you lessons for a long time, but I joined a jazz band at my school and I have learned how to sight-read amazingly and I have grown a lot in speed and precision. I am junior in high school now and I want to attend the Berklee College of Music to major in composition and I want to audition on and make my primary instrument bass guitar. I have been looking at the audition guidelines and I am afraid I don't know everything and I have no teachers in my area, so I come back to your Kris for help. I do not expect you to be my full time teacher or anything, I know you must be incredibly busy, but I ask this entire community here for help. The audition guidelines are
* A tune from a well-known artist or band (any style)
* A standard or jazz tune (which may include blues and rhythm changes) with your own improvisation
* A composition from the instrumental/voice repertoire or a movement, sonata, concerto or etude
* A transcription of a well-known artist's solo
and to play over a I-IV-V blues progression.

I need help on improv, the classical music part, transcription, and the blues progression. I have no doubt in my playing abilities just on my understanding of the theory side of things. If anyone can point me to lessons, give me personal lessons or advice, or anything please help me out.

Thank you
Redstarking
Redstarking

Back to top Go down

Berklee College of Music Empty Re: Berklee College of Music

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:35 am

'Ello, Matt.

Ok, you can choose anything for the well-known song part. I'd go for something like the Beatles, though. Those guys appreciate stuff like that.

The classical part. Hmm...how about that tapping lesson I did? If that isn't canon, it's pretty close I think. That might do the job.

As for the solo part...I guess you're from the States, Matt (Although I have close friends from my town that went to Berklee!) so how about a rendition of the Star spangled banner? Use distortion or some effect if you have enything to give it an edge?
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Redstarking Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:12 am

Those are some great ideas, thanks a ton. What are your suggestions on playing over a I-IV-V blues progression, I am not sure how that exactly works. And do you have any input of improv, how to start working on that and what works.
Redstarking
Redstarking

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down