Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sam's Official Product Review Thread.

4 posters

Go down

Sam's Official Product Review Thread.  Empty Sam's Official Product Review Thread.

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:26 am

Tonight, I'd like to take the time to outline two computer programs, starting with GTR3.

GTR3 is what is known as amp modeling software. It works as a plug-in in such programs as Reaper (which will be part two of all this). It also works as a stand alone program.

This software is actually meant to work with an array of usb or firewire interfaces, but being the "average American", I just took the line-in approach. It ran a little slow on my machine, but I have an older computer than the rest of the world, so I'm willing to bet that it would run swimmingly on today's tech. It's relatively straight-forward. It has a wide variety of different amp models--keep in mind, the choices as far as bass amps go are kinda slim pickins', but it still had enough to keep me satisfied. Once I finally got my amps and cabs picked out, my living room thundered with the (emulated) sound of a wicked solid-state head (modeled after the Hartke 3500, which I own in the RW) and a 15" flip-top alongside an 810e. It was truly breathtaking...until it started to peak and lag. I should probably mention that this program requires ASIO4all, which is free, if you're going to use the line in. I would like for one of you to try this and reply. I'd like to know if it's just my machine making this happen. I'd say this would be alleviated by one of the aforementioned interfaces, also. All in all, this product creates an amazing re-creation of some of the most popular amps, cabs, and effects.

On to Reaper. This is pretty basic stuff. Not as basic as Audacity, mind you, but nothing as advanced as pro tools. I initially got this program because Audacity doesn't support GTR3. I'm actually taking quite a liking to it. It looks great, for one, and everything has it's place. I may have to do a follow up on this after I tinker with it a bit more.

Here's a sample of both programs in action.

Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Sam's Official Product Review Thread.  Empty Re: Sam's Official Product Review Thread.

Post  SuperMaximo93 Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Nice review, how much was the software? Using the cabinet simulation would be pretty useful to me scratch
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Sam's Official Product Review Thread.  Empty Re: Sam's Official Product Review Thread.

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:43 pm

Around $100 US, but not for the smart internet user.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:Around $100 US, but not for the smart internet user.

+1
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:36 pm

I asbolutely adored the melody man!

As for the program, havent tried it but I might will after I get that amplug...
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Go through the line in on your computer, no amplug necessary. And thanks for the kudos.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:35 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:Go through the line in on your computer, no amplug necessary. And thanks for the kudos.

Okay then you saved me $50 Wink
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down