Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recording

+5
Dropthelines585
MetalJacob
danthewelshy
Pastichio
androssie
9 posters

Go down

Recording Empty Recording

Post  androssie Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:51 pm

Well, i got a question a bout recording my bass sounds ^^
i want to record my (future) covers directly into my pc.
but i have no idea what i need to do Embarassed

i got this (new) amp:
http://www.basscentre.com/bass-combos/warwick-ccl-nd4.html

and i was thinking about recording with:
http://www.i4-muzique.nl/computer-hardware/usb-geluidskaart/presonus-audiobox-usb-p-1044.html

is this possible? and if yes, how XD?

thx alot
androssie
androssie

Back to top Go down

Recording Empty Re: Recording

Post  Pastichio Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Once you have set up your audio interface, the manual should help you do that. You will need to get software to help you record. Now, you can go get Pro Tools or Cubase, but that will cost ya unless you are of the torrent mind. But even with that these are big production tools which you may never want to use. A good open source program is Audacity, I use this for editing and for recording ideas sometimes.
Link:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Once installed you select the inputs and outputs of audacity to your audio interface. Plug in your bass directly into the audiobox, hit record and play away. If you want the sound of the amp EQ, if there is DI OUT on your amp connect that to the audibox.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  androssie Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:17 pm

thx Very Happy
there is a di out on my amp, so i can use that 1 aswell ^^
i hope i can get the recordthing as soon as possible ^^
androssie
androssie

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:23 pm

androssie wrote:thx Very Happy
there is a di out on my amp, so i can use that 1 aswell ^^
i hope i can get the recordthing as soon as possible ^^

just make sure you have the DI OUT set to post EQ and not pre, then you will be able to record your bass after the EQ and not before it.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Most of these usb/firewire interfaces come with LE versions of software. I recently got a TC electronic konnekt 6 interface and that came bundled with Cuebase LE 4 which is great. Though I personally use Sonar Producer 8 as its the full version!
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:34 am

I may get this same recording box. But uhh what is a DI out? I'm totally clueless on this stuff.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:33 am

Not sure what it stands for, but It goes to the mixer.

I use reaper with gtr3. No amps necessary.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:13 am

DI stands for "Direct Inject" and is a means of converting impedance and signal level from a range of devices such as guitars, line output from amplifiers, or speaker level output from an amplifier into a form acceptable by a microphone input channel on a mixing desk or audio interface. DI also allows for longer signal cable length when running your sound on stage into a mixer, when compared to a line output, due to the use of balanced cables (which also eliminate hum).

With an active bass you can plug it straight in to a line level input(not mic input though, the signal will be too hot and the impedance wont match) on a mixer or audio interface and get a decent sound but not with a passive bass as the impedance and signal level are not matched for either line level or microphone level- try plugging a passive bass into a line or mic input on a mixing desk and you wont be very pleased witht the sound. But if you plug your bass first into a DI box or an effects box/interface and then use the DI out connected to a mic input on a mixing desk/audio interface you will get the true clean sound of the bass.

In terms of impedance passive basses have a 250-500 kilohm impedance (dependant on number of pickups and type and volume control value)
Microphone input are 600Ohm impedance thats why they dont match
Active bass are around 50-100 Kilohm impedance perfect for line level

Incidentally, for one of my college projects I have to build a website using only notepad and I have decided to do a website on "How to record Bass guitar" so this will all be explained.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:18 pm

I did not understand a word you just said.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:05 pm

DI lets you plug your bass into a mic input. Active basses can go straight into a line input (the blue one) and sound great but passive basses'll sound shit in both line-in and mic-in, so run it through a DI box and then connect up the DI out to the mic in.

That about right?
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Sounds good to me Very Happy
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 pm

How do I know if my amp has a DI out? The only thing that appears to be that is something that says Crossover and two outputs labeled "High Out" and "Low Out" and then a Frequency knob.

Peavey TNT 130
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 am

I don't think it's likely that your amp has a DI out. You'll have to get a separate DI unit which you plug your bass into, then connect the DI unit to your computer. I think. They appear to be anywhere from £20 to £170.

Unless you have an active bass; just stick that in the line-in and don't bother with any of that fancy stuff. That's what I'd do if my laptop actually had a line-in Sad
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:36 am

Any chances you could give me a link to one?
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:02 pm

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/altai-direct-box-sdb20-passive-di-box--12909

Obviously won't produce as good a sound as a £100 one but should be good enough. Question to DubHertz though; what's the difference between passive DI boxes and active DI boxes?
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 pm

MetalJacob wrote:How do I know if my amp has a DI out? The only thing that appears to be that is something that says Crossover and two outputs labeled "High Out" and "Low Out" and then a Frequency knob.

Peavey TNT 130

I believe that that is used for Bi-amping
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Pippynip wrote:http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/altai-direct-box-sdb20-passive-di-box--12909

Obviously won't produce as good a sound as a £100 one but should be good enough. Question to DubHertz though; what's the difference between passive DI boxes and active DI boxes?

Passive DI boxes use a small transformer to convert the impedance and change the unbalanced guitar signal into a balanced signal. These type of DI boxes require no power - just as a passive bass has no battery.

Active DI boxes use an electronic circuit to convert the impedance etc but require a either a battery or a 48Volt supply usually supplied from the microphone socket on the mixing desk/audio interface (phantom power)

Active DI boxes are supposedly more versatile as some can boost the signal or offer tone control and they allow for even longer cable runs
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Ah. I have an active bass but no line-in on my laptop, so I'll probably get a DI box as well so I can use the mic instead.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:15 pm

You might have a bit of an issue there....IIRC normal soundcards dont have balanced microphone sockets. DI boxes are for balanced mic sockets. Thats why I use the term "Audio interface" instead of soundcard.

You should weigh up the pros and cons of buying a simple audio interface or maybe a bass effects unit with USB/Firewire
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Lordy lord, those things are expensive. Relative to my current bank balance, anyway. I think I'll set my sights on the Pandora, I should be able to afford it in, ooh, 6 months or so Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:20 pm

A friend of mine (he's a guitarist) bought a Behringer UCA202 recording thing or something expecting that he could just plug his guitar in and record with it. Is that even possible? I didn't know what to tell him so I'm asking you guys, what would he need?

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:31 pm

I've got one of those (well, the red one). The inputs and outputs require an RCA cable. You can't plug a guitar straight into it, as you'll need a converter cable and a preamp. I'd suggest that your friend gets a cable with one end that can connect to the line out of his amp and the other end RCA. Then his signal chain will be Guitar > Amp > UCA202 > PC, which'll work fine!

What he might want to bear in mind however is that on a guitar amp the tone is influenced a lot by the speaker, so he'll find that in recordings his guitar might sound horrible and screechy. He'll either have to do some EQing on the amp or PC, or get some speaker simulation software of some sort.
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:33 am

^ I informed him of all that, don't know if he ever bothered with it.

But I found out my amp has a section called Patch and a little thing under that says pre-amp out. So I plugged a cable into my input, another into the pre-amp out, and then put on of these http://www.electronicsnmore.com/images/caa18.gif on the end of it and plugged into my computer's mic slot. Records great.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down