Free Bass guitar lessons

Updates on the Bass book I'm writing!

Go down

Updates on the Bass book I'm writing!

Post  Dmanlamius on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:58 pm

It's difficult, because I want to put a completely fresh edge on the typical education book that you can buy. Most, are dry, un-involved, and let's face it...a little boring. I want to add a bit of a spark.

But, this isn't easy as it's important that a lot of stuff that you find in the boring books is actually covered! There are no short cuts, and there are rules.

So what I need to do is to communicate those rules the best way I can, but in my own way. In a way that people can understand and really benefit from.

So here it goes. I'll update all progress right here.

So far, I have briefly covered (and will add more to):

Chords, and their use.
The art of creation.
Playing with three fingers.
Playing with other people.
Practice!
Playing with droning notes.
Percussive playing.
Singing and playing Bass.
101 unique abd original riffs/exercises to learn.

14/02/11 Added:

Today I added two slap and pop exercises, and two new tapping exercises.

I also pretty much finished the "How to create Bass line" section. It was hard without going too deeply into theory, but I think it worls pretty well. Just some basic ideas to get people up and running.

17/02/11 Added:

Today added another ten exercises in different styles and genres.

18/02/11 Added:

The first 20 example riffs from the book are now recorded and ready! Whoohoo!

What do we have so far?

A couple of my personal favs. Two jazzy riffs. A couple of primus-esque snap and pop riffs. Two cool tapped riffs. Some nice mellow chord stuff. A heavy metal chord based riff. Some cool rocky riffs. Slap and pop riffs, plus much more.

Don't forget, that's the first twenty. I'm aiming for 101!

21/02/11 Added:

The 20 riffs above are now tabbed. It was difficult. Especially the faster slap and pop stuff.

Also recorded ten new riffs.

Last edited by Dmanlamius on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Updates on the Bass book I'm writing!

Post  lololiet on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Brilliant, a Dman bassbook, It's like Christmas all over!

But will it be available for (international) purchase on something along the lines of Amazon.com or something so it can be ordered from, let's say, Holland?
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:09 pm

Hello my friend!

Well, I thought long and hard about this. I'm going to make it an E-book I think.

That way, there can be tons of links in there to examples etc. The 'book' (A PDF most likely) will come with 101 cool riffs/examples, plus EXTRA examples (playing with three fingers/singing/writing etc) in an additional zip file.

I have to admit that it's been hard. Most books/teachers become so clinical because they HAVE to. That's what theory and role dictates. I'm hoping that I have found a happy medium between being myself, being laid back, free and easy (to make it as easy as possible for you guys), but at the same time making sure I'm sending you down the right path concerning your progression. Not causing bad habits etc.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:22 pm

You should at least get a hardback for yourself to keep to memorialize your hard work.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Yea, that would be very nice...

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:02 pm

I recently bought a book on scales and to be honest with you guys, I have NO IDEA what I'm supposed to do with it. I see the tabs, I see the names, I see the sheet music, but I don't see how I'm supposed to use it. What's with that? It's a scam, that's what it is. I could have googled "scale names" and learned as much as I have learned from this book, and it would have saved me a few €.

PLEASE, Dman. Include concrete examples on scale application. If you do so, I'll buy two copies of this book, if not more.
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Hiya, buddy.

Yup, I totally agree with you. I took a look at three books recently of my students. Each cost about £15 each, and each had exactly the same content in it!

It's like they grab the content, word a couple of bits differently, and publish it. It was he that said I should really write a book that people can understand. I know that some of you know I was thinking about this some time ago, and made a start.

There is no mention of application of scales in the book. However, there is quite a bit on composing bass lines using chords, which is a lot more useful! Scales are scales. Chords are much more important for bass players.

Remember: Too much theory can send you mad. Learn as much as you need, discard it and work on your ear.

Edited the above for today: Tabbed 20 riffs/licks/exercises. My head hurts.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 pm

I'm sure you're all aware of this video, with examples, but I'll chuck it up here anyway:

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:32 am

Dmanlamius wrote:Remember: Too much theory can send you mad. Learn as much as you need, discard it and work on your ear.

Most truthful statement ever.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:58 am

I thought madness was a good and natural quality for musicians? Very Happy

Will the book cover styles at all? Like, noting how laid-back reggae tends to be, how precise and locked in funk tends to be, how aggressive metal tends to be, something a little like that.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:49 pm

I think i'll stick with the topics I've got for now, and save that for another book.

Otherwise i'll be here for years! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo 112233 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:29 am

Please PLease Please make this available in New Zealand, soooo excited

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  GemL on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:45 am

I've been looking for a bass book but everything is the same and boring or too complicated. This sounds good so I'm interested in getting it when it's available! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Ok, got my new computer. Back to work!

Not rushing this, as I want it to be good Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down