Free Bass guitar lessons

Squire VM Fretless J Bass

Go down

Squire VM Fretless J Bass

Post  TalkShowHost on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Hey, I have a Squire VM Fretless J bass with a very beat-up neck, it was my first bass and I thought I knew everything about it after reading a couple of articles and I fiddled with the truss rod a lot thinking it would get rid of a little fingerboard rattle after changing the strings. It didn't, it just kind of ruined the neck, there's kind of like lumps along the back of the neck, and it sort of looks like the wood is creased aha. There is a lot of rattle/buzz when I play at the low end of the fingerboard, and it's bent forward at the top. At the moment it only has the 3rd and 4th strings on for reasons I can't remember, Rotosound flatwounds. Is this a problem that can be sorted out at home or will it have to be taken in to a repair centre, or maybe even replaced? I'll try and get some pictures up very soon, along with maybe a recording so you can hear the rattle/buzz if you think that's necessary? Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Re: Squire VM Fretless J Bass

Post  lololiet on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:05 pm

If you don't know what you're doing, like you and me, you'd better not fiddle with the trussrod. It is probably best to get it sorted out by a professional.

Was your first bass really a fretless?
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TalkShowHost on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:15 pm

lololiet wrote:If you don't know what you're doing, like you and me, you'd better not fiddle with the trussrod. It is probably best to get it sorted out by a professional.

Was your first bass really a fretless?

Haha, I regret going near the truss rod at all. I think it screwed up the neck good and proper.

Yeah, I hadn't really looked in to it much and just picked the coolest looking one there. It wasn't long until I realised that I should have picked a fretted and I ended up buying a Peavey Millenium AC bxp which is pretty great.

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Well, if you have like an instrument store that can do repairs near you they'll probably be able to fix it to a certain extend.
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum