Free Bass guitar lessons

Your Musical Direction

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your Musical Direction

Post  Pastichio on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:19 am

Hey guys, I was just wondering what your musical direction is. What would your ideal band situation be, if you are already in a band is it what you want to do musically or would you rather do something different?

I've been asking myself this question recently with the current band I am in. Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing with these guys and the music can be challenging enough but sometimes I feel I could be doing more, not better or anything, I just feel I could be doing something more creative elsewhere. When I write music I dont feel it would suite the band and I have these pieces of music that only get to be heard during my practice sessions and I feel I need to realize them in a band situation. Its hard being in a band sometimes because at the end of the day its a group of individuals trying to form one vision even when not everyone may share that vision. We are primarily a riff orientate band, which is cool and there is nothing wrong with that, but I am a slave to melody and more musically progressive songs and trying to introduce that into this band is difficult.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Musical Direction

Post  DavidM96 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Im actually stuck on this at the moment. I not sure if i want to be in a melodic punk band or something more "funky". I really like both styles and have no idea which to chose.
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm still looking for a band, preferably to do classic 70's punk, Damned, Saints, Radio Birdman, Eddy + Hot Rods, Lurkers, those sort of thing, but I can't really get some people together.
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:17 pm

My musical direction... I don't really know. I wouldn't really want to be in a reggae band. I'd kinda want to be in a more classic-sounding band. One thing that's quite important is that I don't want to be in a band with people who'll create something mediocre and go "Oh, that'll do..." when it clearly needs a bit of work.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Well, to quote The Jam: "what you give is what you get"
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:41 pm

And then the public wants what the public gets!

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:25 pm

But you don't get what this society want?
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy on Sun May 01, 2011 5:01 pm

As of now, the society wants "the same as last time".

My musical style... I don't really know, to be honest. Rock, funk, heavy, alternative, reggae... I honestly don't know. I was going to combine them all into a super-genre, but then I realized you have to get Fuck out of funk and rock, and I don't want to play alternative heavy-fuck.
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sun May 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Ronk. Alternative heavy-ronk.

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy on Sun May 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Ronk, or runk, is the Norwegian word for masturbation. I don't want to play that either.
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sun May 01, 2011 5:05 pm

If you don't, someone else will.

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy on Sun May 01, 2011 5:08 pm

They will, and I won't have anything to do with it. Get in the chat, will you?
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio on Mon May 02, 2011 1:25 pm

I think the trouble with bands is trying to find people with the same vision as yourself. I always felt then when I joined a band, Id just play my bass and be happy with that and leave songwriting and such to others. But I spent a good few years making my own music on the computer and this helped fuel my creative, songwriting side and I don't think I can be content with just being the guy who does his job and thats it. Granted I do contribute to songs that we write but Im getting the feeling I dont like the songs we write, which isn't good at all.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Mon May 02, 2011 1:28 pm

What do you think would happen if you aired your grievances to your bandmates? Would they say something like "Oh alright, fair enough" or would they say something with the effect of "lol silly whining bassist"?

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio on Mon May 02, 2011 1:31 pm

DavidM96 wrote:Im actually stuck on this at the moment. I not sure if i want to be in a melodic punk band or something more "funky". I really like both styles and have no idea which to chose.

Could you not try incorporate more funky stuff into the band? I think the problem with a lot of bands is they say 'we are a punk band' 'we are a metal band' rather than just being a band of musicians doing whatever comes next and not worrying about the label attached to it. That would be my ideal situation, no genre, just good tunes.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio on Mon May 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Pippynip wrote:What do you think would happen if you aired your grievances to your bandmates? Would they say something like "Oh alright, fair enough" or would they say something with the effect of "lol silly whining bassist"?

I know my opinions are respected and Im not afraid to say 'we shouldn't do that, we should do this' and we do all actively contribute when we are working on songs. I think my problem is that Im feeling lately I dont want to be in this kind of band anymore. And Im kind of torn because I like all the guys and I get on with them, and I know if I left they would have a hard time replacing me. Im not being big headed about my skills or anything, there are better bassists out there than me, but I dont think many of them would want to join a band that aren't that popular and are struggling to find gigs.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Mon May 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Pastichio wrote:
DavidM96 wrote:Im actually stuck on this at the moment. I not sure if i want to be in a melodic punk band or something more "funky". I really like both styles and have no idea which to chose.

Could you not try incorporate more funky stuff into the band? I think the problem with a lot of bands is they say 'we are a punk band' 'we are a metal band' rather than just being a band of musicians doing whatever comes next and not worrying about the label attached to it. That would be my ideal situation, no genre, just good tunes.

Im thinking about doing something like that actually. Just play whatever you feel like playing.
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Sat May 21, 2011 4:22 am

I just got done with a 800 mile move for a lot of reasons, but this is definitely top 5. I'm in your shoes here, stachio, I'm just not sure what I want to do with my music. Let me rephrase, I know what I want to do, but I'm not sure if finding someone that shares my vision is even possible. I've got so much more musical opportunity here, but finding talent that won't impose itself on my musical direction is going to be hard. I'm thinking about putting my name in the band name so it's mine, but I'm not sure if I'm worthy of a Sam Parrish and (insert band) type deal. I want kind of a prog metal/jazz thing.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:24 am

I like all music and I feel love and rhythm in all of them but my ideal would be something old skool goth like Bauhaus; strong basslines and everything almost out of tune.
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anvil3103 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:59 am

I like Rock/Punk/Grunge/Metal (not thrash or death) so that is my preferred genre. Got a band made up of lads at work, and am learning loads of covers, with a few songs I have written (with the guitarist).

I am a total novice, but the drummer has toured europe wth a band, and the guitarist has been playing since he was 10/12.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:12 pm

I have a band where we do our own stuff and the creative process is just jamming and recording. Then when we find a good tune we work it out into a song. The genre doesn't really matter, we just try to mix in everything we like. We have rock, funk (fuck or runk), metal and reggae.

So, it suits me perfectly Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  androssie on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:29 pm

i like to play nu metal ^^
like disturbed and A7X
lots of funk and rock i like as well. as long as it doesnt involve the pick.
not that i hate the thing, but i cant handle it yet, i cant play with it yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:36 pm

I couldn't handle picks either, but then I spent about 45 minutes playing the main riff in Dig Up Her Bones by Misfits to a metronome (the one on studybass.com) slowly, then a bit faster, then a bit faster, then a bit faster... and now I'm OK with a pick, I can play Ace of Spades Very Happy

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Not a huge fan of the pick, myself.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:36 pm

It's much more difficult for me to convey feeling using a pick. I use a pick when I just need to go "rargh", like in Ace of Spades Razz

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next