Free Bass guitar lessons

Whats wrong with my tuner?

Go down

Whats wrong with my tuner? Empty Whats wrong with my tuner?

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:02 am

I never can tune my E string with that piece of crap. WHY??????

Whats your tuner model???
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Whats wrong with my tuner? Empty Re: Whats wrong with my tuner?

Post  Pippynip on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:30 am

Korg GA30, I think. I'd rather have the chromatic version but this one's served me well.

Have you tried changing the batteries in the tuner?

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 am

Behringer GB-30, if I'm correct. It's an alright thing, once you get how it works.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Pippynip wrote:Korg GA30, I think. I'd rather have the chromatic version but this one's served me well.

Yeah changed the batteries but still my E string is not tunable as an open string, I always need to tune it from the 12th fret. Sad

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:Behringer GB-30, if I'm correct. It's an alright thing, once you get how it works.

Will try and google it. Thanks!
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Pippynip wrote:Korg GA30, I think. I'd rather have the chromatic version but this one's served me well.

Oh something I forgot to mention; My tuner works the same way, so how do you tune one step down for example with these tuners?
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:27 pm

To tune one step down, press the button which says "FLAT" twice. Two little flat symbols should appear on the display. Then tune it down to E. It'll say E, but you've actually tuned it down to D - it's like the flat button fools the tuner into thinking a D is an E. One press of the flat button means you're fooling the tuner into thinking the E is Eb, three presses is C# etc. It's the same for all the other open strings. Well not exactly the same. Two presses of the flat button when tuning the D string, for example, would mean that you're tuning that string to C. You get the picture Razz

Also, if you don't already, always plug your bass into the tuner instead of using its inbuilt microphone. I had the same problem when using the microphone to tune my bass. If that doesn't work... well tuning from the 12th fret shouldn't be any different to tuning the open string. It seems to be widely agreed that the best way to set up the intonation of your bass is to set up the 12th fret so it's neither sharper nor flatter than the open string. I should set my intonation properly, it's actually quite bad... Razz

Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Pippynip wrote:To tune one step down, press the button which says "FLAT" twice. Two little flat symbols should appear on the display. Then tune it down to E. It'll say E, but you've actually tuned it down to D - it's like the flat button fools the tuner into thinking a D is an E. One press of the flat button means you're fooling the tuner into thinking the E is Eb, three presses is C# etc. It's the same for all the other open strings. Well not exactly the same. Two presses of the flat button when tuning the D string, for example, would mean that you're tuning that string to C. You get the picture Razz

Also, if you don't already, always plug your bass into the tuner instead of using its inbuilt microphone. I had the same problem when using the microphone to tune my bass. If that doesn't work... well tuning from the 12th fret shouldn't be any different to tuning the open string. It seems to be widely agreed that the best way to set up the intonation of your bass is to set up the 12th fret so it's neither sharper nor flatter than the open string. I should set my intonation properly, it's actually quite bad... Razz

Awesome... Didnt know and I've always wondered this how-to on Korg tuners. Thanks makes absolute sense!

I always plug it in my tuner, and because of the diffirent modes (Guitar Bass Violin and Chromatic) I always check that I've selected "Bass" mode. Havent tried with the built in microphone though, maybe if it's facing the amp it can "hear" the E string...

And yeah Epic Fail, just noticed that my tuner has Chromatic mode also. No flat button but Chromatic. Will do. Am blind. lol.

This is my tuner: (dont laugh at it its pretty not pricey)

Whats wrong with my tuner? JMT9000B
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Does it pick up the low E string if you have it set to Chromatic? To be honest, I think that if your tuner has a chromatic mode there's no reason to use anything else.

I like that tuner btw, looks like it was made 30 years ago. Love that look.

Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Pippynip wrote:Does it pick up the low E string if you have it set to Chromatic? To be honest, I think that if your tuner has a chromatic mode there's no reason to use anything else.

I like that tuner btw, looks like it was made 30 years ago. Love that look.

Yeah well done me, didnt have any idea that it actually had chromatic mode, I just played with it for 2 minutes before I post you the reply and there it was.

No the problem persists... It wont hear my E string. Sad

Yes the tuner is kinda tech-vintage and thats one reason that I ve bought it... But I couldnt guess that it wouldn't listen to the bass strings.
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Well like I said, tuning it from the 12th string shouldn't make any difference if your intonation is set so the 12th fret and the open string are the same. It's a mild inconvenience but not a crippling one. Does it pick up the rest of the open strings properly?

Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:05 am

Pippynip wrote:Well like I said, tuning it from the 12th string shouldn't make any difference if your intonation is set so the 12th fret and the open string are the same. It's a mild inconvenience but not a crippling one. Does it pick up the rest of the open strings properly?

Yup I guess I will continue tuning from the 12th fret, the intonation is just a little off but in the next days I will go for a GOOD professional setup and it will be 100%. Its difficult to measure the intonation while the E string is not recognisable from the tuner so I guess is a bit off...

Yes the other strings are caught fine by the tuner... Thank god. lol

Could it be my pickups by any chance? Bad setup?
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 am

Are you sure it's a bass tuner? Because if it is, then it's a piece of crap. Bass tuners should AT LEAST be able to go down to B (below the E, yeah).

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:28 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:Are you sure it's a bass tuner? Because if it is, then it's a piece of crap. Bass tuners should AT LEAST be able to go down to B (below the E, yeah).

Yes I am sure, its a multicraptuner, guitar - bass and violin (plus a chromatic that wont work).

Now that you mention that... I don't know anyone with a 5 stringed to try it. But my guess is that; NO. It would not listen the low B.

Only thing I havent tried yet is the built in mic in front of amp.
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Nocturnal_Pulse wrote:
ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:Are you sure it's a bass tuner? Because if it is, then it's a piece of crap. Bass tuners should AT LEAST be able to go down to B (below the E, yeah).

Yes I am sure, its a multicraptuner, guitar - bass and violin (plus a chromatic that wont work).

Now that you mention that... I don't know anyone with a 5 stringed to try it. But my guess is that; NO. It would not listen the low B.

Only thing I havent tried yet is the built in mic in front of amp.

NOPE.

It didnt work.

Crappy piece of electronic sh*t
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum