Free Bass guitar lessons

Acoustic bass dead notes problem.

Go down

Acoustic bass dead notes problem.

Post  ben9394 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:47 pm

I bought an electro acoustic bass and its got like this thing on some notes liek the 7th on the d and the 12th and maybe some others when you play them the note rigns quickly then stops and makes a high pitch sort of noise and dies so you cant hold them.

It comes ou through the amp as well when its plugged in its weird only on a few frets but anoying when thats the note you want.

Is there a way to stop it if not its not to bad only a few places im just wondering what causes it.

The bass is a takamine EGB2s black electro acoustic bass.

Back to top Go down

Re: Acoustic bass dead notes problem.

Post  Pippynip on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:19 pm

I have no idea what's causing it, but I imagine what's happening is that harmonics are being brought out for some reason :S

Could be there's a problem with the frets, could be there's a problem with your technique, could be both. I dunno, we need DubHertz, but in the meantime I'd recommend going to a guitar repair shop of some kind and asking them what the problem is.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:07 pm

If you're fretting it then it could be that the neck is bent or that the string is too close to the fretboard. If you're not fretting it, but trying to get a dead note, I wouldn't recommend damping the strings over the 12th or 7th fret (or 5th or 9th for that matter) because those positions produce nice prominent harmonics.

Back to top Go down

ok

Post  ben9394 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Im fretting them and they are not ringing just quickly then sort of going into a harmonic sound its only 2 or 3 frets that do it so im not to fussed but if any more start to do it ill be annoyed as it did it when I bought it but it come from the internet. Apart from that its a good bass Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Ok then, it's probably the neck or the actual frets. Take it to a technician Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:02 am

If it's a new Bass, with new strings, it could be that.

New strings sound "Zingy" anyway, but more so with an Electro-acoustic.

These guys give good advice, though. If it continues after the strings have lost their brightness, take it to get it looked at...

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ok

Post  ben9394 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:40 am

It changes if i tune the A down one step the fret that doesn't sound long goes 2 up so its to do with a certain note which I dont think can be fixed.

Also I know this is off topic but I didn't see a point in making a post on it does anyone know a website I can get a case that would fit that bass as the music shops here dont sell cases for them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Do you want a hardshell case or a gig bag? If you measure the dimensions of your bass and search 'buy hardshell bass case' or something in Google you can probably find a case that'll accommodate it, or I'm sure you can get cases custom made (but they're expensive).

Doesn't matter if all you want is a gig bag, they're usually pretty universal (if that's the right word Razz).

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ok

Post  ben9394 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:18 pm

thank you I found one and I ordered it now my open d string is buzzing and its comign from the end where the pegs are gosh what can go wrong next its just a problem bass at them moment.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Well, sometimes new basses are set-up so bad that it's more of a wrestling match than playing an instrument. I'm guessing it needs a good tune-up.

Back to top Go down

ok

Post  ben9394 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 pm

I will once I have the money unless i can convince my mate to have a proper look its strange thoa it only buzzes when i use my thumb to strum down even gently but if I hold the bass upside down and use my thumb it doesnt its well confusin. but it only buzzes a tiny bit if i use my 2 fingers like normal. I use my thumb alot thoa for chords so its annoying.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Well, playing with the thumb and fingers causes the strings to move differently. It's not a question of being gentle.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:29 am

I've had an acoustic bass for some time. The trouble is that the pickups are inside the body and you can't stop it from picking up the the frequencies from both ends of where your fingers are, no matter how hard you try. The best fix is to try putting a hair scrunchie or something similar on the neck-side of where you're fretting. That will almost definitely fix your problem. If not, take it to a qualified bass/guitar tech.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ok

Post  ben9394 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvhcmgWunI

sorry how crap this is but I had to hold the camera but you can hear the buzz from where i put the camera.

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:58 am

My classical guitar sort of had the same thing. I think it's a problem with the saddle. Don't quote me on that though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down