Free Bass guitar lessons

Strings hitting fret while slapping

Go down

Strings hitting fret while slapping

Post  StankZappa on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:16 am

So I pretty new to bass period. I was looking over Dmans slapping technique videos and for some reason it seems when I slap the same way he does my strings are hitting the frets and making a nasty metal on metal noise... what am I missing? Do I need to raise the strings, get different strings or what? Im very confused...

Back to top Go down

Re: Strings hitting fret while slapping

Post  Stryfer on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:48 am

The strings always hit the frets when slapped. In fact, that's part of the sound.
Just make sure you let them ring by not keeping your thumb down on the string Laughing

There's also the popular "fret buzz" problem, but that's a different story. It's more of a buzzing noise rather than a "clank" though. Sometimes it can appear when you slap because of the increased attack on the strings.

As for getting a good sound it always ends up being an EQ (equalizer) question, especially when you're slapping to slapping.
If you want a thumpier sound try lowering the treble or high freq. and boost the low and low mid (if you have a low mid dial on your amp).
Also I've found that if I lower the treble on my amp about half way (9 o'clock) the sound lacks aggression. However, when I slightly boost the 4.5k freq. on my seperate EQ it gives it a nice kick.

Oh, and Dman uses a MusicMan bass... Those things are built to thump!

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum