Free Bass guitar lessons

Top heavy bass

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Top heavy bass

Post  Pippynip on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:33 pm

I prefer to have my bass at a diagonal angle, but my bass keeps sliding down to a horizontal level. Is this something I just have to live with or can I do anything about it?

_________________


An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
avatar
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  MetalJacob on Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:46 am

Put weights in your bass body? *shrug*

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Stryfer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Can't say really, I constantly change the angle of my bass as I move around on stage jocolor

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Pippynip on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:23 am

I've posted this before, but this is the kind of angle I'm talking about



Obviously it's not a problem when the strap's higher up, but when it's that low it becomes quite the problem Razz

_________________


An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
avatar
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:42 am

I was pretty much serious about the putting weights in your body thing.

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Stryfer on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:38 am

It might be due to the fact that the strap slides around your shoulder too much? Otherwise, I can only suggest holding it in place with the hand you fret with.

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Pippynip on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:32 am

MetalJacob wrote:I was pretty much serious about the putting weights in your body thing.

I've thought about it before, but... how? I've no idea how to go about doing that. It'd have to be a tiny but quite heavy weight duct-taped inside the cavity in the back or something...

Stryfer wrote:It might be due to the fact that the strap slides around your shoulder too much? Otherwise, I can only suggest holding it in place with the hand you fret with.

Somehow that doesn't gel with my technique. It's like I'm a pianist at heart or something.

_________________


An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
avatar
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Stryfer on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Then you're screwed Razz

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Pippynip on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Sad

_________________


An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
avatar
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Some freaky guy on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Push up with your fretting hand more, or tape/glue your strap to your shoulder.
avatar
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Stryfer on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 pm

...or tape/glue your bass to yourself jocolor

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  lololiet on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Or get a bass with a really, really heavy body, a Gibson RD perhaps.
avatar
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Pippynip on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Yeah, I'll do that, with all of my money Very Happy


...Sad

_________________


An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
avatar
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  DubHertz on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:49 pm

you could try replacing your tuners with some lightweight alternatives...the tuners have quite an effect on the balance of a bass

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GearGottaGo/Bass-Tuners-/_i.html?_fsub=2099745016

Or try a wide strap

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Pippynip on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:03 pm

Ah, cheers! I'll give that a go.

Are there any problems that could arise with using lightweight tuners?

_________________


An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
avatar
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  MetalJacob on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:09 am

Wouldn't the position of the strap button on the butt affect this as well? Maybe?

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  lololiet on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Pippynip wrote:Ah, cheers! I'll give that a go.

Are there any problems that could arise with using lightweight tuners?
from what I've heard their only real problem is that they're a tad more expensive than the normal ones.

For the rest they should function just as well, if not better.
avatar
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  JSL on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi,

Did this issue get sorted?

What bass do you have? Is it a Fender like the dude in the video?

Cheers,

J

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Pippynip on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:08 pm

No, I've just been putting up with it. It's an Ibanez SR305. Do you have the same problem?

_________________


An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
avatar
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  JSL on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:57 am

Hey bud,

Ive got an Ibanez Jet King (Pic below) which is also top heavy, add to that I have a shattered left wrist from a snowboarding accident many moons ago, so am limited with movement and am finding it a bit tricky to support the neck & play (Or I could just be bing a wuss....? Smile).

Ive read a lot about the 'balance' of guitars and a friend of mine that is VERY good on bass commented on mine being top heavy. So I am interested in this subject to see if it would help with my dodgy wrist issue (Pic of wrist below).





Also do you have any advice on strings? Im assuming its all down to personal choice, which is a bit awkward. Im using 'Ernie Ball 4-String Bass Slinky Nickel Strings 50-105 Regular Slinky 50-105' But am getting quite a bit of fret buzz, I had the guitar set up and was told the buzz would die down but it hasn't. Anyone know if the strings Im using are known for buzz? Are there better strings to use? I like the idea of flat wounds as I assume there will be less 'scratch' sound when sliding up & down? Anyway sorry Im getting off topic now...

Cheers,

J

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Pippynip on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Good lord!

It may be worth checking out what DubHertz suggested, the lightweight machine heads. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gotoh-GBS510-Lightweight-Bass-Machine-Heads-NEW-/261007820460?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cc54746ac

As for strings, I find that 45-100s are slightly easier to play without sacrificing too much tone. 45, 65, 80, 100. The lighter you go, the easier they are to play; conversely, the lighter you go, the weaker the tone gets.

_________________


An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
avatar
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  lololiet on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:51 pm

JSL wrote:Hey bud,

Ive got an Ibanez Jet King (Pic below) which is also top heavy, add to that I have a shattered left wrist from a snowboarding accident many moons ago, so am limited with movement and am finding it a bit tricky to support the neck & play (Or I could just be bing a wuss....? Smile).

Ive read a lot about the 'balance' of guitars and a friend of mine that is VERY good on bass commented on mine being top heavy. So I am interested in this subject to see if it would help with my dodgy wrist issue (Pic of wrist below).





Also do you have any advice on strings? Im assuming its all down to personal choice, which is a bit awkward. Im using 'Ernie Ball 4-String Bass Slinky Nickel Strings 50-105 Regular Slinky 50-105' But am getting quite a bit of fret buzz, I had the guitar set up and was told the buzz would die down but it hasn't. Anyone know if the strings Im using are known for buzz? Are there better strings to use? I like the idea of flat wounds as I assume there will be less 'scratch' sound when sliding up & down? Anyway sorry Im getting off topic now...

Cheers,

J
I've got a JTKB too, and mine doesn't feel that topheavy scratch
(though that might be because I've got the 200 and you've got the 300, I think)

Also, was that picture really necessary? It's slightly off-putting
avatar
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  JSL on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi lololiet

Sorry for the pic, I guess Im used to it so don't really realise how 'off putting' it can be to others. Sorry matey Embarassed .

I had no idea there were different models of the Jet King? I know there is a version with double hum buckers. Is that the version you have? Would be interesting to see how different they are. I love the retro look of them :-) Have you played any other basses to compare? This is my first.

I think I might try the wide leather strap technique to try and battle my top heavy issue, I think the one I have is nylon. Can anyone recommend a good leather strap company?

Cheers

J

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  lololiet on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:19 pm

JSL wrote:Hi lololiet

Sorry for the pic, I guess Im used to it so don't really realise how 'off putting' it can be to others. Sorry matey Embarassed .

I had no idea there were different models of the Jet King? I know there is a version with double hum buckers. Is that the version you have? Would be interesting to see how different they are. I love the retro look of them :-) Have you played any other basses to compare? This is my first.

I think I might try the wide leather strap technique to try and battle my top heavy issue, I think the one I have is nylon. Can anyone recommend a good leather strap company?

Cheers

J
Yup, the double shiny metallic humbucker one, the a bit cheaper model, I think.

I have another very cheap brandless starter pack bass and I´ve played on some other and I would say that the JTKB is quite a bit more heavy than those others, though I don´t get the feeling that the neck or headstock is particularly heavy.
avatar
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  JSL on Tue May 01, 2012 10:55 am

Ahhhh!!

I thought mine was the old version and yours was the new and improved version. I couldn't find any reviews on mine, but found plenty on yours Smile

Perhaps the head stock isnt particularly heavy, but as my wrist is a bit dodgy it would help if it was a bit more balanced Wink

Are you pleased with your JK? I guess they must be very similar apart from the pick ups.

Cheers,

J

Back to top Go down

Re: Top heavy bass

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum