Free Bass guitar lessons

Slappin' - Where next?

Go down

Slappin' - Where next?

Post  Pippynip on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:52 pm

I recently put roundwounds back on. This means I CAN SLAP AGAIN YAY!

Problem is, I'm still a bit rubbish. Going through Dman's premium slap thing again, and that's all well and good, but I want to learn some slappin' songs as well. The RHCP version of Higher Ground is a little too difficult for me, and Graham Central Station's Pow is damn near impossible at this stage, but this...

...perfectly represents my skill level. Where do I go now? Which songs do you think would challenge me a little, but not too much - just enough to progress without getting all frustrated?

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Slappin' - Where next?

Post  Smaz on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:29 pm

Very simple, but very funky... :-)

Jamiroquai - Emergency on planet earth

This song does have a few tricky bits, but the whole song is pretty much just slapped octaves.

I learnt that song using these two videos:

http://www.slappyto.net/Cours-Basse/Voir-Cours-Basse.aspx?id=99

http://www.slappyto.net/Cours-Basse/Voir-Cours-Basse.aspx?id=100

VERY helpful being able to see a slow version!

Infact, try learning the Red Hot Chili Peppers slap lines from there:

http://www.slappyto.net/Cours-Basse/Voir-Cours-Basse.aspx?id=70

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:27 pm

I would actually recommend Higher Ground, Nobody Weird Like Me, Get Up and Jump, Backwoods and so on, but at 75% speed, or less.
The most important thing in slapping is to learn to play the patterns and make them a part of a routine movement of your hand. Once that is accomplished, you can easily speed it up.

I think you can do Can't Stop though. It's fairly simple. Oh and the intro to Dig Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Merci beaucoup Very Happy

Actually, yeah, I forgot about Can't Stop. I know a sort of 'no mutes' version of the main slappy bit, but I don't know any of the fingerstyle parts (except the intro) so I don't play it often Razz

Edit: Smaz, could you tell me which key Gimme My Mule is in? I can usually work songs out by ear fairly well, but I appear to be having problems with this song for some reason Razz

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:54 pm

You must do it. Ignore the intro, the main thing is amazing.
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Oh! There's one standard I completely forgot! Fly Away - Lenny Kravtiz Smile
You could also do Undisclosed Desires - Muse, but it's not really something that will improve your level much

I also remember playing the main riff of Mr. Pink at half speed. Then going slowly I got up to about 80-85% in about two weeks. Then, until recently discovering the wonders of palm mute (which sounds like a dead note when done strongly enough) I couldn't get past that. Now I'm at full speed Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Hmm... palm-muting doesn't sound like it'd be easy to do while slappin'. Then again, my slap style is some strange hybrid of the Flea-style and original-style slappin', so... I dunno Razz

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:51 am

It's quite easy, but it's a movement that takes some getting used to so start really slow until your hands do it automatically.

Just hit the empty E with your thumb, then sharply close your fretting hand around the neck, smack the strings and making them silent.
Essentially, your fretting hand should smack the strings just as your thumb is coming away from the E.

Once you've got that down, Mark King's speed doesn't seem so impressive. Although his seemingly endless stream of slap variations are still daunting.
Even though I can play them, I can't remember all the patterns in Mr. Pink. Neutral It's way too complex for me...

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:15 am

Gimme my Mule is in E Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Stryfer wrote:It's quite easy, but it's a movement that takes some getting used to so start really slow until your hands do it automatically.

Just hit the empty E with your thumb, then sharply close your fretting hand around the neck, smack the strings and making them silent.
Essentially, your fretting hand should smack the strings just as your thumb is coming away from the E.

Once you've got that down, Mark King's speed doesn't seem so impressive. Although his seemingly endless stream of slap variations are still daunting.
Even though I can play them, I can't remember all the patterns in Mr. Pink. Neutral It's way too complex for me...

Oh. I instantly thought of right-hand palm-muting, like what guitarists do... Yeah that seems much more do-able Razz

Oh and cheers Smaz, I'll get riiight on it. Very Happy

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Just got to say... EMERGENCY ON PLANET EARTH IS SO MUCH GODDAMN FUN IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL

When I get good at slapping and am able to play the harder stuff... Oh lord. My bass faces happen when I slap too, they don't happen much when playing fingerstyle Razz

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Third post in a row - the slappin' has given me blisters Sad

...on both poppin' fingers, which is lovely and convenient... time to break out the superglue, I suppose Very Happy

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:17 pm

This happens a lot when you start out and even later on.
Take a slap break of a few days then go again. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Oh no, no no no, wouldn't dream of it. The one on my first finger is basically gone, so I'm using that one (though I vastly prefer using the middle). If another one pops up on my first finger... I dunno, I'll use my third finger Razz

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Try using both your index and middle finger.
Slap the E and grab it's octave and the fret below it, the pluck with both fingers at once. It sounds really hardcore Smile
Of course you can do this with any note Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Yeah, it does; an exercise with that included is in Dman's premium slap lesson Very Happy

There might even be more, I haven't learned all the exercises yet... I got the lesson well over a year ago Embarassed

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum