Free Bass guitar lessons

Three motherflippin' fingers

Go down

Three motherflippin' fingers

Post  Pippynip on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:33 am

Yeah, so I'm learning to play with three fingers before I get too good with two fingers so it won't be horribly frustrating if I try and learn to play with three a few years down the line.

I've been playing the bassline to Lucretia, My Reflection by Sisters of Mercy over and over again (hey, it worked for two fingers, why not three?) focusing on making my right hand go R - M - I - R - M - I - R - M - I - R - M - I instead of doing random patterns like R - I - I - M - R - R - M - R - M - I. Is this the way to go about it? Starting with the index feels a bit wrong for some reason, and doing something like R - M - I - M - R - M - I - M - R feels like it'd fuck up my middle finger sharpish.

Thoughts and advice from those who can play with three fingers would be most welcome, old chaps afro

edit: I also sometimes just play with my ring finger in order to strengthen it up... I don't know whether this is a really good idea or a really bad idea.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Three motherflippin' fingers

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:57 am

You're doing it pretty much perfectly. Some people start with index, but of course it's not necessary. And some people do it backwards (I-M-R-I-M-R-) but y'know that's just preference. When I first started I would do just random streaks with playing only ring to strengthen it up as well, as long it doesn't become a habit (seems very unlikely) then you're good.

Just a little advice, at the beginning, I remember it being kinda hard to not automatically gallop. A metronome is your friend here, of course.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:38 am

Metronome...or starting slow.
I can pretty much play with three fingers, although my ring lacks strength. Somewhere along the way to getting the technique down I opted against it because of timing. I still use it, sometimes, when the speed demands it, but I find it much harder to count 1-2-3-4-2-2-3-4 when my fingers work 1-2-3.

1-2-3-4-2-2-3-4
1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2
1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2

See what I mean? I always play the 1 with a different finger when I'm on three and that makes grooving more awkward. Keep an eye on that Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:22 am

the way you are doing it seems just fine. Also, when bass is not in hand try tapping out on a table or the side of your leg or whatever with your three fingers. I find if you are doing a series of triplets, like a gallop or something it flows much better just using R-M-I R-M-I, but thats just down to taste. I don't use three fingers that often as I've developed a fast enough two finger technique over the years, the only time I use it is during our cover of Metallica's Whiplash as we tend to play it three times as fast as the original.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Excellent. As I get better, will my fingers automatically stop flying out everywhere or is that something I should try and address now? When playing with two fingers, they hardly seem to leave the string, but when playing with three they're all over the place.

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Try to get it sorted. It will come with time though... How was it when you started using only two fingers? Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Oh, christ, the days when I absolutely sucked... Man, I remember struggling with the line in Dman's lesson for total beginners, for people who'd just picked up the instrument and had no idea what to do with it Razz

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Ach! Moving from string to string really confuses me. I've found that playing while thinking 3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1 over and over again helps, but I always lose my groove, lose all feeling. Totally gone. Hopefully later on I'll be able to ditch this 3-2-1 business Razz

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:28 pm

That's what I tried to warn you about Razz
Three finger playing messes up your groove.
For me, it's kind of a "pick it up as I need it" thing. Although, I haven't found a need for it... yet

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Reckon I'm just going to use it for going really bloody fast.

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:40 pm

I cover this a bit in the new book (Don't worry about how much you have in Paypal!! I'll sort you out)

What its good for, apart from doing fast fills, etc, is to take the load off the other two fingers, so to speak. If you're playing a busy piece, all the way through, adding the third finger into the mix can help when stamina os getting low. Smile

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:34 pm

You will? Jubilation abound! Very Happy

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum