Free Bass guitar lessons

Beware the n00b

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beware the n00b

Post  cerise on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Hey all! Very Happy

I did a bit of searching around for an 'intro' section but either I couldn't find it or I'm horribly blind (I'm leaning towards the latter).

Been reading through the forum for a while and finally decided to take the plunge and register last night.

I'll hold my hands up high and admit freely that I'm a complete and total newb when it comes to bass and, in fact, most instruments, but for a while now I've had this nagging feeling that I just have to play bass. Not entirely sure where it came from or why but it's persisting so I went ahead and ordered a bunch of gear to get me started a few weeks ago. Had a bit of a 'mare to be honest; everything turned up except the bass. You can imagine the heartbreak - everything else is sitting pretty just begging to be put to good use and there's nothing I can do with any of it! Oh, the tears. Okay, maybe not tears but I was pretty sad! Anyway, cancelled my order with the mean people who kept promising and failing to send me my very pretty (and very pink and sparkly) bass and instead bought an Ibanez SR400QM. I'm expecting delivery of this gorgeous thing on Tuesday, so after the debacle I've had so far I'm hoping, wishing and crossing every available appendage (even those not belonging to me) that it will actually turn up!

Itching to play doesn't even describe what I'm feeling at the moment; the thought of getting my hands on this beauty is making me ridiculously excited and even though I'm fully aware I'm going to suck hardcore for a very long time, the prospect of learning is so incredibly appealing. There's something about a good bass line that just kicks you in the teeth in such a great way...

I'm really looking forward to getting to know you guys and apologies in advance for any ridiculous questions that I'll no doubt be irritating everyone with!

Oh, and some info about me, I guess? I'm Gemma, but I absolutely prefer Gem. I'm probably far too old at 27 to be thinking of picking up an instrument but I'm hardly conventional so I don't really care about that. I'm really a bit weird and random and I don't act my age... Pink and sparkly sums me up quite nicely but I really wouldn't try to stereotype me too quickly based on that; just because I like the colour pink doesn't mean I can't mosh with the best of them Wink And lastly my music taste is... eclectic? Yeah, let's just say it's eclectic. Laughing

Apologies once again if this is in the incorrect place; mods of awesomeness feel free to move it about to a better suited forum if that's the case!

Rant over, excitement brimming, Gem out.

Back to top Go down

Re: Beware the n00b

Post  Pippynip on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Now that's what I call an introduction. Very Happy Welcome, welcome!

There's a thread for introductions in General Chat, but I've noticed that most people who end up sticking around make a thread in here introducing themselves instead, so I guess it matters not one jot. Hell, I did, and look at me now! Razz

I wanted an Ibanez SR400QM. QMCS, to be precise. I saw a thing on Youtube and I thought I'MMA GETTIN' ME ONE O' THEM NOW. Nobody had one, though. So I got an SR305, and I don't regret it one bit. You'll be pleased with your Ibanez... Ibanez is a 'safe' brand, it's really difficult to go wrong with them. Very Happy I remember first starting out though... it is hard. Dman's lessons were absolutely essential for me. I'd wanted a bass for a while, but I only bought one after I found Dman's glorious channel.

I remember playing Spyro games on the PS1, way back when my brain was soup, and mispronouncing 'gem' with a hard 'g'. Like the 'g' in 'gill'. Dunno, thought that was funny.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Welcome to the boards, hope you stick around. Ask as many questions as you want, folks here are generally friendly (sure aren't most bassists?) and are happy to help when they can. I wouldnt worry about starting late into playing bass, never too old to learn something new. Thats crap with what happened with your bass not arriving, all the gear and nothing to plug into it, I'd be freaked out.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Yes, welcome to the boards!

This is the most friendliest bunch of people I've seen on any forum. This isn't because of me at all, I'm lucky to have them on this forum.

Don't be scared to ask questions here.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenSnips on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:32 pm

hey welcome to the forum, ask all the questions you want so many people on here full of knowledge and always willing to help out Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo 112233 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:07 am

Welcolme, you are never too old to learn and the bass is just the coolist instrument, be sure to follow d-mans lessons esp the ones on warm ups, you do not want any strain injuries (trust me), and believe it wont be long before you are playing songs through, itching for more. The best advice I can give is to find some musicians and start to jam, you will learn very quick. Good luck Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:02 am

Welcome! You picked a good bass indeed. I think many of us here approve of the Ibanez SR's. (and GSR's)

What Davo said about getting some people jam with is great advice. It may be nerve racking, but it will make you progress so much faster than someone who sits in their room all day playing Iron Maiden and thinking they are good. Razz

Just curious, what other gear did ya get?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top