Free Bass guitar lessons

Hello! My Introduction!

Go down

Hello! My Introduction!

Post  mwells on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:24 am

I thought I would introduce myself since I am new to this forum. I have been watching Dman's videos for a while now on youtube and love his teaching style. I finally joined the forum and purchased his new e book as well. I little about myself I am 33 years old and have played bass for a couple years and am finally getting serious about it aside from reading tab and playing riffs from songs here and there. I live in Austin, TX USA and am also a singer. My influences for bass are what most would roll there eyes at: Gene Simmons, Paul McCartney, Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue and John Paul Jones. Not very original I know! I am excited to be a member here and am very impressed with Dman's new book as well it has shown me several new techniques already. Know I I could remember the dang notes on the fret board! Any suggestions as far as a chart to use etc? Not sure why I am struggling with that. I forget what notes have sharps and which ones have flats and which ones do not. Anyway I hope to chat with y'all a lot more on here!
Mike Wells

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello! My Introduction!

Post  Pastichio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:12 am

Welcome to the boards! Hope you stick around, nice bunch around here. I wouldn't roll my eyes at your influences, John Paul Jones is a legend! He is still a huge influence on me.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around! Never be afraid to ask questions, we don't bite.... Well most of us anyway
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Welcome! Добро пожаловать! Bienvenue! Vilkommen! Yeah, all of them. Very Happy

I wouldn't roll my eyes at your influenza either. Er, um, influences. Influenza is serious business.

About the notes - there's nothing between B and C, and there's nothing between E and F. That's it. The rest of the notes all have sharps and flats.

For example: The first fret on the E string is F. The first fret on the A string is A sharp OR B flat. The second fret is B... and the third fret is C. But the fourth fret is not D... it's C# OR Db. The fifth fret is D, and so on and so forth. When naming sharp or flat notes, I wouldn't worry too much about which one you say. For all intents and purposes, they're both the same note - C# is the same as Db, Ab is the same as G#. It's just like calling a film a movie Very Happy

Here are all the notes, from A to A.

A
A#/Bb
B
C

C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F

F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab
A

Dunno what to suggest you do with them next, mind. I'm not a teacher... Twisted Evil

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Memorizing notes comes with time. Within a year of bass playing you will probably just jump to each note in an instant.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:58 am

Pip, they're not the same! Surprised At least, theoretically they aren't. There is a small difference between an F sharp and a G flat.

Other than that, welcome to the site, mister Wells?

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:22 am

We know that, but leave the advanced stuff for later. For now (and maybe even the rest of his career) it's enough to know that they are the same fret Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:42 am

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:Pip, they're not the same! Surprised At least, theoretically they aren't. There is a small difference between an F sharp and a G flat.

Other than that, welcome to the site, mister Wells?

you are right, it all depends what key you are in. But for now its safe just to see them as the same fret to avoid confusion.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:04 pm

I know I know I know, but I wasn't gonna mention any of that because I don't have a proper understanding of it all Razz

Might make a separate thread about all that...

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mwells on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions I think this is going to be a great place to learn!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Oh yeah - Dman has a chart with all the notes on the bass fretboard. It's with his lesson on the major scale, which I'd highly recommend having a look at if you haven't seen it yet. Learning the major scale can help open up the fretboard for you.

http://www.dmanlamius.com/#/the-major-scale-explained/4533245113

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:31 am

I'm not the only Texan anymore. Sad Anyways, welcome!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum