Free Bass guitar lessons

Any Advice?

Go down

Any Advice?

Post  Davo 112233 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:19 am

Hi Guys, I thought I would reach out to you to try and get some advice on my bands set list, for those who dont know I play bass in a cover band mainly playing pubs and parties. For some time now we have been adding song after song and the set list now has the look of a monster (not a nice one either) Its at 86 songs and counting. I am seeking some advice to look at trimming the fat, and making some good arrangements as I am not too sure about how we currently have it.

So here goes the list

ShinDig

1. Angels
2. Under the Bridge
3. Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
4. Peaceful Easy Feeling
5. Son of a Preacher Man
6. Sultans of Swing
7. You got it
8. Black Velvet
9. Heard It Through the Grapevine
10. Hurts So Good.
11. Walk of life
12. Bad Moon
13. April Sun in Cuba
14. Soul to Squeeze
15. Layla

1. Mony Mony
2. Road House Blues
3. I Saw Her Standing There
4. Working Class Man
5. Man I Feel Like A Woman
6. Proud Mary
7. Bad Case of Loving You
8. Life is a Highway
9. Piece of My Heart
10. Honky Tonk Woman
11. Boys Light up
12. Sweet Home Alabama
13. Sweet Caroline
14. Walking on Sunshine
15. My Sharona
16. Rolling in the deep

1. Brown Eyed Girl
2. Bliss
3. Call me
4. Summer of 69
5. Hey Baby
6. I love Rock and Roll
7. Play that Funky Music White Boy
8. Yellow Ledbetter
9. Eagle Rock
10. Gambler
11. Alice
12. Hot Legs
13. Mustang Sally
14. Sweet Child
15. Love Shack

1. Old Time Rock and Roll
2. J Cash (Folsom Prison)
3. The Look
4. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
5. Two Princes
6. Daughter
7. Valerie
8. Zombie
9. Midnight Special
10. 500 Miles
11. Medley
12. One Way or Another
13. Haircut
14. Forget You
15. I’m a Believer

1. Santaria
2. Money For Nothing
3. Basket Case
4. What I got
5. Take It Easy
6. Creep
7. Are You Old Enough?
8. All Right Now
9. Addicted to Love
10. Say it ain’t so
11. Heartache Tonight
12. Why does love do this to me
13. I fought the Law
14. Polly
15. Goodbye

Extras:
Girls Just wanna
All My Lovin
Stand By Me
Right Here Right now
Man Who sold the World
Palteau
Closing Time
Venus

All of this behemouth equates to over 5 hours, which is way too long, thanks in advance

Back to top Go down

Re: Any Advice?

Post  Stryfer on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:18 am

Having a large amount of songs isn't really a problem if you can play them all. This can give you variety, which many cover bands lack today. We have a few local cover bands, but I've grown tired of listening to the same set list over and over.

I'm glad I didn't see "Stairway to Heaven" as people tend to yawn at that song... Then again, some of the stuff I see here are generally washed out songs. The question is, how does the crowd react to them?
Each club tends to have regular customers and you would do best to cater to their tastes. Often times, a different set of songs will fit better at a different locale.
So I can't really give you any advice on what to keep and what not to...

However, I can suggest altering the set lists a bit so that each targets a certain a crowd.
For example, I can't see the same people who know of and enjoy "Have You Ever Seen the Rain", listening to "Under the Bridge". It's a completely different time period.
"Basket Case" with "All Right Now" is kind of a stretch too.
Those are just two exampels off the top of my head...oh and "Rolling In the Deep" is way out of place in it's set.
Perhaps take the age of the songs into consideration when making a set list. That's the best I can recommend.

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo 112233 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:05 am

Thanks I am on the same page, I think we need to trim quite a bit of stuff out say 20 - 25 songs and have them seperiate and bring them out dependant on the crowd. We have been preforming these for over a year now, and I guess I am a bit jaded doing the same stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Could you add in the original bands/artists, please? It'd be easier for me to rearrange the list with them included. I don't know all the songs, see, and having the artists included would make looking them up a bit easier Smile

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:38 pm

Rolling in the Deep is a bit out of place here(and overrated as a song), Summer of 69 is one of those songs that a lot of people quite like quite a large percentage of people really dislike, Creep gets annoying quite easily, My Sharona is recognisable but not very enthralling. I personally would reconsider those songs, at least.

I really dislike Layla on a personal level, but that is obviously not really a reason to remove it from a playlist.
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Have quite a bit of experience with set-list building, and am asked about them quite a bit round these parts! (I was brought up in a pub, family has owned pubs for decades, and I lived in another pub for three years)

I've literally seen hundreds and hundreds of cover bands.

That is a strong list, but you need to assess your crowd as to what you will play. You have about an hour - two hours, yes? If so, do some research on the venue, see what age the crowd mostly is, and pick your songs from that.

The one thing to consider, is alcohol. You are a professional, and when the alcohol is flowing, you need to not consider what your personal preference is, but try and approach the choice like someone who is drunk! Whats the best song to sing along to? Whats the best song to dance to? Etc.

So, with that in mind, excellent songs such as Soul to Squeeze may not have as much as an impact as a cheesy singalong song, for example. Unless it is an alternative type venue that will know the song.

That is the key. Figure out who you are playing to.

Hope it helps!

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo 112233 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks guys.
We play all night, from 8:30 till closing time, about 2:00 am, usually starting with the lighter songs whilst people are still having a meal etc, we are able to do this with three singers to spread the vocal duties but at the end both the drummer and I are a physical wreck, me from smacking a heavy bass and him from wailing away on the drums for 5 hours. We usually play to the 25 - 45 age group, so that is where we will focus on. Cheers for the advice

Yes I know 5 freaken hours!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Davo 112233 wrote:Thanks guys.
We play all night, from 8:30 till closing time, about 2:00 am, usually starting with the lighter songs whilst people are still having a meal etc, we are able to do this with three singers to spread the vocal duties but at the end both the drummer and I are a physical wreck, me from smacking a heavy bass and him from wailing away on the drums for 5 hours. We usually play to the 25 - 45 age group, so that is where we will focus on. Cheers for the advice

Yes I know 5 freaken hours!!!!!!!

man I know how that Ray 34 weighs a tone. My shoulder is a wreck after a 4 hour practice session, my shoulder is aching now thinking about it.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Maybe you could get a couple of barstools and, when you're playing some slow, romantic songs, all sit down, creating both a more romantic environment and stop you from collapsing entirely.
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:24 am

I hope you're doing your hand and tendon exercises with a setlist that big! Shocked

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo 112233 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Yup, plus press ups etc etc

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Davo 112233 wrote:Yup, plus press ups etc etc
Make sure to do wrist pushups, dorsal pushups, pullups and chinups as well for maximum benefit. Razz

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo 112233 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:06 pm

and change bass when i get tired, always have two on stage

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo 112233 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 am

So we have sorted the set list, both the drummer and I put it to the others that we wanted to play better stuff and less of quality over quantity, and it ended up that we left the band scratch Happy with decision and we are in the process of forming another band, with songs that appeal better to the pub scene where I live, such as Rage, Chilis, Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc thanks all for your advice

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:55 am

Now thats a cover band I'd go to see live!

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:01 pm

yeah that is a proper cover band right there. good luck with it man.
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo 112233 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Will keep you posted, had a 1st rehersal and we all clicked, songs came together really quick, just need a singer now and we are in business

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo 112233 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:33 am

Well we had a blast, played a three song set at a local jam nite to bust the guitarists cherry (so to speak) was a bit of humour wedged between some oldies playing renditions of CCR and Van Morrison, they were good, then us with System of a Down, Wolfmother and Rage, then some old as hippy chick singing mary had a little lamb.

Great fun, i think the quote of the night goes to a 70 year old plus blues bass player "Well I dont care for their music, but they play well with lots of enthusiasim, and look at their following, so good on them"

Next gig will be full on, playing with three other bands at a charity event to raise money for Cancer Kids.

I AM LOVING MY NEW BAND!!!!!!
cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down