Free Bass guitar lessons

Can someone help me?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can someone help me?

Post  jykayrouz on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:02 am

I learned the bass through two years of jamming with my brothers. I started out absolutely horrible afraid to hit a note and i am fairly decent now i hope. I have some bad habits and sometimes get "stuck" in one spot. For example if i am playing in the E key, i would get stuck around the twelfth fret using the same notes ( alter between there and the open scale).

Anyone have any advice on how to not get "stuck"? Much appreciated. Maybe someone can explain how they overcame this problem. Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone help me?

Post  Pippynip on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Could you elaborate? drunken

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jykayrouz on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Pippynip wrote:I'm not sure I understand the problem. Could you elaborate? drunken

Sure, thank you very much. What I am trying to say is that i often get stuck playing the same things over and over in the same area on the fretboard. Getting "stuck" in one spot. It's a problem i can't seem to get over.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:17 pm

So when having a bit of a jam, you play the same stuff over and over again, unable to play something different and still make it work? Have I understood it correctly?

If so, it might be worthwhile to go to the blues. Learn the 12 bar blues structure and jam over that. My reasoning is that if you play stuff that's sort of meant to be the same thing over and over again, you'll probably get bored, and find ways of experimenting with it. 'Course, that's just something I thought of now, so it hasn't been tested and might be a load of bollocks. And I still might not be understanding the problem.

But the 12 bar blues is nice to know, anyway. Razz

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jykayrouz on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:35 pm

You've understood exactly. Thank you very much i'll give it a shot!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:27 pm

That's likely to be a long process, mind, if indeed it works at all. Hopefully someone else can come along with more... immediate advice Very Happy

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:49 am

When I feel myself getting stuck, I just put the bass down and start going all over the internet looking for some new bass lines or phrases that seem fun and different. Then I play those for a few days and suddenly my fingers do something different when I jam Smile

Most of the time I get stuck when I play the same songs for too long, because those patterns burn themselves into my fingers. Recently I took up trying to learn walking bass (those guys who know that I'm an anti-jazz person know what that means XD) just to get my creativity going. Didn't learn walking bass, but the stuff I play now feels fresh Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Sometimes it helps to do a cover you wouldn't touch under normal circumstances. Try the SOTW.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

listen to ....

Post  mrs potter on Thu May 03, 2012 7:15 pm

jaco pastorius, the beatles and red hot chillis then go and check out one of dman s teach yourself vids and go for it.............

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 on Fri May 04, 2012 3:19 am

I bought a book called "Solo Arrangement for Electric Bass" by Stuart Clayton, the only method book I ever purchased, and I haven't gotten stuck since. Rather advanced book, but a very, very good one. Frees up the hands. Probably doesn't sound like it would help in your specific situation, but it does.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum