Free Bass guitar lessons

Alternate Fingering When Descending - Right Hand?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Alternate Fingering When Descending - Right Hand?

Post  Faz540 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Good Evenin' Bass Players!

Here's my question (I'll try my best to keep it as short as possible!)

When descending a scale, or any other piece of music, should I still alternate my plucking fingers or should I re-use the finger to "sweep" pluck (I dunno, I'm guitar player remember!) so it's a more efficient way of playing. In guitar it's called economy picking, so I guess economy fingering!? o_O

I've looked EVERYWHERE on youtube and can't find a video explaining this

I know I've seen many bass players use the rolling/economy finger technique when playing smooth bass lines or funky stuff, but I'm sure I've seen many bass players play all alternate.

My question is only when descending, since economy fingering when ascending would be VERY awkward :S

I have a feeling the answer will be "learn both and use each technique to get a certain feel" haha

If that is the case, then what on Earth to play now?? o_O Should I learn to play strictly alternate and once I've mastered that move onto economy (as you do on guitar...)

Anyhoo, I hope I've explained this clearly :/

Oh and first post!

Cheers!

Faz

Sorry to the admin for double posting -_- I posted this thread in the wrong section, my bad!

Back to top Go down

Re: Alternate Fingering When Descending - Right Hand?

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:37 am

It doesn't matter. Learn both, use each technique to get a certain feel out of it.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 am

Yea, there is no golden rule about that one!

As long as the notes are ringing true, sound good, are in time, and you are comfortable, then go for whats best for you Very Happy

Definitely experiment.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:10 pm

I'd say that, unless you're playing something really fast, it doesn't really matter that much. Just go with the one that feels most comfortable. But then again, I'm not actually very knowledgeable.
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Faz540 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks everyone for quick replies!

Hmm...I'll guess I'll just have to use both and utilise each one depending on their situation and genre. So all alternate for Iron Maiden riffs (like the intro to Number of The Beast and The Clairvoyant) and use the economy style for funk and smoother sounding licks.

Thanks!

Faz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top