Free Bass guitar lessons

Hello All, How do i read/play tabs like this ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello All, How do i read/play tabs like this ?

Post  illusion_xox on Sun May 20, 2012 11:11 pm

http://www.learnbassforum.com/t603-new-tapping-exercise

there is a example here id like for dman or anyone that can explain it to me in a video prefabley or in a post. Ive used google but i could not find anything telling me how to read this or how to even understand it confused Question

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello All, How do i read/play tabs like this ?

Post  Pippynip on Mon May 21, 2012 12:55 am

Each number corresponds to a fret on your bass, and each line corresponds to a string on your bass. E is the fattest string, and G is the thinnest. Timings are difficult to get across in tabs though, so you have to listen to the original songs for the timings.

For example... http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/w/white_stripes/seven_nation_army_btab.htm

If you listen to the song, you can easily tell that it's not simply one note after another in a straight fashion like the tab says. The tab is just good for knowing which strings and which frets to put your fingers on. Very Happy

I'll post a video if you're still not certain Very Happy

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  illusion_xox on Mon May 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Ok i see clearly now that song was a perfect one to use for example cause it stayed on one cord. I had the right concept in mind but i wasnt sure if i was doing it right cause it was hard songs. Now is there anyway that it tells you how many times to play that rift or bar? i see that site has it at the bottom but i notice some others dont , so i assume wed have to listen and find out if its not up there next to the tabs.

Im so00 psyched bounce , aww man all the stuff, imma be imma be imma imma imma be imma be play play playin imma imma be .

Thanks man i cant say thanks enough without becoming annoying. rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Mon May 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Some tabs do, some tabs don't.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/metallica/cyanide_btab.htm

That one does. Some even have the times at which certain riffs appear.

I wouldn't recommend getting everything from tabs, though. It'll be much more beneficial to you as a musician if you use your ear and mind to work things out as much as possible. For example, with that Seven Nation Army tab, you just get the individual riffs, so you have to really listen to the song in order to figure out when you've got to play each riff.

Some songs won't even have tabs, so you'd have to figure out which notes are which just by listening to them and attempting to find the note on your bass... affraid I wouldn't expect to get good at that anytime soon though. It all comes with practice! Very Happy

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pippys aCool Cat

Post  illusion_xox on Mon May 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Ok it seems like impossible to learn from ear but i know that's the best way to develop as a awesome bass player and bass music composer i was trying it with this song right here its one of my favorite's alot of ppl dont listen to nate dogg but he used the bass alot .

.youtube.com/watch?v=JEX5j5F2Gtw

And i figure it to start at the 10fret A string , and pardon me for saying that wrong i was reading a thread where you helped this guy understand how to say this stuff the proper way i think it would be like A10 confused

p.s i dont wanna be a bother but can can you tab that for me .

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue May 22, 2012 5:12 pm

A10 would be the 10th A. Basses are tuned E1, A1, D2, G2 (the number goes up every time you reach a C - 2nd fret on the A is B1, 3rd fret is C2). The proper ways are either '10th fret on the A string', '10th on the A', 'G' or 'G2'. G2 can be found in numerous places on the bass: open G string, 5th fret on the D string, 10th on the A, 15th on the E.

'Middle C' is C4, which is only in one place on the bass - 17th fret on the G string.

It doesn't really matter what you say though - so long as people know what you're on about. If you called it a J, for example, it would matter Razz

Which bit do you want me to try to tab out, the prominent "do-d-d-DO-do" thing or the rumbly bass in the background? The first I think is a 'normal' guitar (but there's no reason we bassists can't have a slice of the action), and the second would be difficult to tab out.

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  illusion_xox on Tue May 22, 2012 5:25 pm

yeah that rift in the first 9 sec cheers that repeats it self. thanks with your help i can now also learn [Ohio Players - Skin Tight]with the help of tabs geek

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top