Free Bass guitar lessons

So I did an electronic musics

Go down

So I did an electronic musics

Post  Pippynip on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:31 am

It is located on the interwebs and this is a hyperlink to it.

I don't listen to much electronic music, so I don't really know if I've done something that's any good. It sounds nice to me, but I'd like some constructive criticism on it. I'll outline what I did when making it...

0:00 to 0:29
The intro riff is in E harmonic minor. Excluding the drums, three tracks are playing. I'll call them 'Blips', 'Synth #1' and 'Bassline' (ignoring the fact that everything was synthesised). I think it was a mistake adding the blips, or at least making them that prominent. I really like the bit from about 10 to 14 seconds: the only bit I really paid any critical attention to while composing.

0:29 to 0:33
This bit precedes the next section (said admiral obvious). It uses the B and A as a segue from E minor to G# alt dominant bb7 (I only knew it as the 7th mode of A harmonic minor, had to research it to find a name for it. Mixolydian #1 confuses me, is it G or G#?). The blips aren't around anymore, and the bassline slowly gets louder.

0:33 to 1:17
Just the bass and drums at first, going through the new 8-bar phrase. Synth #1 comes in for the next 8-bar phrase, and then in the one after that Synth #2 comes in. Cymbals are added on the 2nd and 4th beats of each bar.

1:17 to 1:47
A new melody thing is introduced for the next 16 bars. For the first 8 bars, Synth #1 is playing it quite quietly, then for the last 8 Synth #3 comes in and plays it.

1:47 to 2:16
Another 16 bar section. The first 8 bars repeat the third phrase in the 0:33-1:17 section, and in the last 8 the blips return. I'm not sure the blips were a good idea, but I wanted this to be a 16 bar section and it was really difficult to keep it interesting. So I added the blips. Blip.

2:16 to 3:01
Same riff, but I put it in D Dorian #4 (the 4th mode). Another 16-bar section. It's structured like the 0:33 to 1:17 section, only with the middle 8-bar bit cut out (so bassline, then bassline + synths 1 and 2).

3:01 to end
I don't really know what I did here. Sounds nice though. 16 bars again, but the final 4 have moar dubble baes on the drums.

WHAT I THINK I DID BAD
Blips.
I don't think the drums were mixed very well. I like the actual track I created, kept nice and simple, but it sounds off to me and I can't figure out why.
I'm reasonably certain I put too much reverb on it. I had everything sounding nice when I mixed it, but then when I mastered it I added a tiny bit more reverb and I was already too close to the 'too much' line.

WHAT I THINK I DID GOOD
Panning and volume automation. Except with the blips. Synth #1 was panned to the left, bassline was in the centre, and Synths #2 and #3 were panned to the right.
The actual composition is ok as well, I think. I've done my best to keep it interesting while keeping mostly the same line going.

YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE, MES AMIS.

(btw this is the first thing I've ever composed, mixed and mastered entirely by myself and I did it in over 2 days spending about 7-8 hours total on it, if that counts for anything...)

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So I did an electronic musics

Post  lololiet on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:29 pm

I likes it. It's entertaining, the bassline is nice and it has a great title.

The drums are a bit monotomous though, but that's a very minor issue.
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:21 am

If I'd spent more time on it I definitely would have added some fills here and there, but I wouldn't have changed the core drumbeat. I tried doing that and whatever I did made everything sound laaaaaaaaaame Razz

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:27 am

I made an electronic musics as well. A billion years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuxZACCafDA

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:25 pm

An electronic musics is fun to make, isn't them? Very Happy

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:54 pm

But they take soooooooo long. Created all sounds except the drums from scratch. Razz

Yours was pretty good. Razz

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 pm

I liked the start of yours more than the rest of it, but still enjoyed the rest Very Happy

Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down