Free Bass guitar lessons

Getting Worse?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting Worse?

Post  GusTheBassDog on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:39 pm

I have now been playing for a month. There are a few simple basslines I can play at this point. The last few days I've found that I play them without thinking...like my paws just know what to do. If I think about what I'm playing, I start crashing...plucking poorly, missing positions, etc.. If I look over a new bassline and get going with it, I feel out of place when I go back to my familiar beginner songs.

Considering looking for a place to go locally for lessons, as I feel I may be lacking direction of late. We'll see. Places here are pretty pricey. I see lots for like $40-60 an hour, which is a lot of money for a dog to pay.

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting Worse?

Post  Pippynip on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:24 am

That happens to humans as well. In fact, I've been encouraged multiple times to not think too much when playing. Think lots when learning new basslines, but then almost entirely disengage your brain when you go back to songs you do know. Go for a walk, perhaps, but don't aggravate the spindly women with chihuahuas.

Actually, on second thoughts... jocolor

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:38 am

If you've been playing for days non top, take a one a day break and see if you feel better.
Also, you may just be getting used to the ease of playing lines you practiced for a while. You need to get used to taking a step back whenever trying to learn something new.

The most critical moments are when you start getting decent, but still not at a level that allows you to just take in something new naturally.
During this period, you have to struggle and think while learning something new, untill you get used it and it comes out on it's own.

I've been playing for 6 years now and there are still songs where I have to stop and take it a step at a time as if I were at a beginner, because it's something that I haven't played it. It feels unatural. So I have to make it feel natural Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:01 pm

grumble grumble strife gave a better reply than me grumble grumble

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GusTheBassDog on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm glad it's normal. I have been playing a lot. I've been making sure to get in at least 30 minutes a day, every day. More when I can. I am a busy dog, and laying in the sun, rolling around in the yard, etc., takes up a lot of my day.

Back to top Go down

Post  GusTheBassDog on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:47 pm

I have gotten a bit better with this the last week or so. I found now that sometimes I can do best if I don't even look at the frets. I was surprised I could actually play like this. I'm still debating if I should look for some classes, though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top