Free Bass guitar lessons

How Long Have You Been Playing Now?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How Long Have You Been Playing Now?

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Jacob, I can barely even play with a pick. I miss notes all the time. My slap, however, is pretty good.

You get better at what you practice. Wink

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm in the same boat as TLS. I can't really play with a pick, but I can slap like hell. Practice man and I wouldn't be me if I didn't offer some advice Razz

You know how people always say it's important to spend time with your bass? That's important for slapping too. Start with your thumb. When watching TV or whatever you do when you're not doing anything, take your bass and try hitting each string, playing dead notes. Just be sure you hit each string on it's own, without touching the others. I actually started out learning to slap Larry Graham style, or that standard slap where your thumb is angled upward and you hit the string by bringing it down and resting it on the string below. After I got good at that and needed more power and speed, I switched to Flea style surprisingly easy Shocked But that might be just me

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm the opposite - playing in a punk band for a year has made me pretty good with a pick, but I can't really slap well at all Razz

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GusTheBassDog on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:05 pm

It's odd how time can just breeze by. I'm now coming up on 7 months of playing. I'm not very happy with a lot of aspects of my progress, but I suppose many people would feel the same. I can look at people playing on youtube now and see mistakes and flaws in technique. I can see many of my own as well when I practice, but fixing them can be hard. I really want to buckle down and reach the 1 year mark going strong, though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Usually it's the first year or two when you feel the most progress, after that it gets slow.
I'm glad you're improving well! Very Happy Don't expect too much of yourself. You're at the point when you're aware of more than you're capable of. It'll even out eventually

Back to top Go down

Post  GusTheBassDog on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:42 pm

And back again. I'm now just beyond the 1 year mark. A lot of my technique needs practice, but my lessons are now mostly on theory. I know all of the intervals, the scales, circle of fifths, and many other things I had no grasp of 6 months ago. How time goes by.

Back to top Go down

1st week

Post  Jed531 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:17 am

Been playing bass one week today. Thanks to Kris, I can play 'creep', and a passable rendition of 'Happy' and making progress on 'Hey'. Adding these songs to 'Rappers delight' by the sugar-hill gang. Wish I had taken up playing bass years ago, so much fun!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top