Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinky doesnt work, How to Play?

4 posters

Go down

Pinky doesnt work, How to Play? Empty Pinky doesnt work, How to Play?

Post  pansaias Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:54 am

Hello everyone, im new to this forum, ive been looking at the lessons for a week now, and i have a question.
When i was little i cut my pinky off, on my left hand, and i wasnt able to go to the hospital so it was just held in place until everything healed together; nowadays i can only bend the first joint from the knuckle, and the other joint cannot move by itself. I picked up a bass without thinking about this, and it takes alot for me to be able to hold down a note with that pinky but it is doable, so i was wondering if i should continue with my regular bass, and play without my pinky or just hang in there and use my pinky? or just get a left hand bass and start from scratch, i wont be able to perform the latter for some time because of my budget.
Well thank you in advance.
pansaias
pansaias

Back to top Go down

Pinky doesnt work, How to Play? Empty Re: Pinky doesnt work, How to Play?

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:49 pm

You could pull a Jimi Hendrix and flip over your right-handed bass and play it like it's left-handed. Razz

Really though, as long as you don't overdo it I think you should play with your pinky.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Although I advise against it, there are a decent amount of bass players who go through life without using their pinky. Think about your health. If it allows it, use your pinky. If it starts causing damage to it, then go with three fingers. You'll be limited yes, but you can still operate decently. Sure, you won't be able to do most chords, nor intervals above an octave, but unless you're aiming for classical or jazz, that won't be necessary.

There is a fairly decent local bass player who actually flipped his bass over and plays up-side down, strings too. So that's possible as well, but it depends on how much time you've spent with it. If you're just starting out then you can go for it Smile I will say that there IS a reason why left-handed basses exist. Playing left-handed will be a bigger challenge if you're right-handed, but I don't see a reason why you couldn't reach a decent level in time.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  pansaias Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:47 am

Thank you for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.
pansaias
pansaias

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Stryfer wrote:Playing left-handed will be a bigger challenge if you're right-handed, but I don't see a reason why you couldn't reach a decent level in time.
Actually, I doubt that. You'll just have more trouble plucking/slapping/etc. rather than having trouble fretting.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:28 am

Hehe Smile I didn't say whether the challenge would be in the fretting hand or the "playing" hand. Though, that's because I have no idea myself what aspect would be harder. I'm guessing you're right TLS.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm left handed and play right handed. My plucking hand (right) does feel more limited because of this but it's nothing practice can't overcome. I'd imagine it'd be the same if you were right handed playing left.
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down