Free Bass guitar lessons

When to change the strings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When to change the strings

Post  Rayne on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:09 pm

I got my new bass 4 months ago and it still has the factory strings on. They sound quite dull to me. I have a nice shiny new packet of strings but they aren't cheap so I wanted to be sure I'm not being wasteful. I only play for about 5 hours a week. I have heard every 3 months is a good guide for when strings need to be changed. Is it about time I changed them?

Back to top Go down

Re: When to change the strings

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Meh, it depends. My current strings have been on for over a year, and I'm just now reaching the point where I think they need to be changed soon.
Some bass players never change strings at all.

It's up to personal preference, really. I'd just experiment a bit and see what you prefer.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GHS-Fast-Fret-Strings-cleaner/dp/B0013HJJMO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359924648&sr=8-2

Apparently this stuff keeps strings sounding brighter for longer. Never used it meself, though.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:04 pm

I've got a can of some string stuff like that around here somewhere, works like a charm. Very Happy
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:00 am

Factory strings are usually crap, so it's good to change those as soon as you can. The new ones you should keep around for a good few months Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  kittyt on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:00 pm

I love Fast Fret!

Which strings do you have waiting in the wings? I think if you're not liking how the factory strings sound any more it would be fine to change them out. I don't think there really is a hard and fast rule about when to change strings. It sounds like it varies so much depending on the person and the type of music they play and how much they play.

As for me, I've had the same G string on my bass for over 10 years and the others have been on for God only knows how long! I am buying one new string each month now and in a few months when I have them all saved up I'm going to put on the whole new set and have Black Sunshine professionally looked over and all tuned up. She sounds OK to my ears right now but I am looking forward to hearing how these new strings sound! I am going with D'Addario XLB strings. Currently have the G string as an Ernie Ball I think and I have no clue what the others are.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:00 pm

I can't have different strings on my bass... I have to get whole sets, my slowly-developing OCD kicks in if I even think about changing just one string Razz

I used to have one roundwound (B) and 4 flatwounds (EADG) on my bass. Never again Razz

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kittyt on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:08 pm

I think I just changed the one string that time because I was antsy about losing playing time, didn't know better, and I was too cheap to buy a whole new set! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:13 am

I have that too Pip Razz Except I think it may actually be fun to have a different B string from the other 4. Since the 5th string is sort of extra, why not make it really special? Razz I haven't ever had the money to try though...and I won't any time soon...

Back to top Go down

Post  Rayne on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 am

My spare set of strings are D’Addario EXL 160s. Nickel wound medium gauge bright roundwound short scale 50 : 70 : 80 : 105.

The action on my bass is quite high and the intonation is a little out so I’m saving up to have it set up professionally by a guitar doctor next month. I think I’ll save the new strings till then and have him put them on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top