Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question for all to give input

+4
Fuzzy
McSnuggles
Admin
Drakon7
8 posters

Go down

A question for all to give input Empty A question for all to give input

Post  Drakon7 Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:37 pm

I was thinking about putting a video up on youtube on me doing a cover in the [as minute of a chance as it is] chance Ill get some positive feedback on how to improve.

My only problem is that Im unsure on what to play.

There are a few songs that Ive narrowed it down to, that is for one, easy enough for me to pull off in general [all through the song], that I know fairly well, isnt so simple that its not as easy to see where I need to improve and that I wont be subject to too much cruelty from the horrid internet =[

I picked easy songs as Im still only a beginner and I dont want to screw up too much..

But all my choices have a slight problem in them..

Ive Narrowed it down to.

-Bulls On Parade - RATM
The only problem is that Im not sure on how to play the solo, and skipping it will result in most probable cruelty Sad
-Miss Murder - AFI
I dont play it with the slides between the notes. I like the sound of the way I play it, its MUCH simpler and makes it much more fun. Not playing the slides will probably be deemed as 'Wrong' and then thats probably the only feedback I would get =[
Crazy Train - Ozzy
Its the one song that I constantly forget the order of the Riffs of, and I dont want to take 40,000 takes until I get it right. Id like it to be less then 5..
Killing In The Name Of - RATM
For the most part, theres probably too many covers on youtube as is without my contribution. Wouldnt really get any views, thusly no comments/feedback so I doubt that It would be worth it.
Rock You Like A Hurricane - Scorpions
Possibly too simple, Im fairly sure I play it fine, the odd fret buzz, so it mightnt be worth it.

Please give me your idea on the matter, furthermore, even suggestions of more songs, Im always looking to learn more songs, That gives you the kind of idea of the music I like playing. and/or can play well. These arent the only songs I know, Im like a human jukebox of cult classic riffs XD
But these are the only songs I would deem myself actually decent at, due to practice and such.

Also, another question, that I only need 1 or so people to answer is. Id post it in the forum too, for more feedback from the people here, should I create a new topic or just put it in this one? Ill just go probably with the first person to answer this question =]
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

A question for all to give input Empty Re: A question for all to give input

Post  Admin Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 pm

It's up to you where ya put it, bud Smile

How about Under the bridge? Thats a lovely line, and I did a tutorial on it...

Or "If you want me to stay", again brilliant and fun bassline. Just loops over and over, and you can put your own feel into it.

Another Chilis one, but pretty little ditty is also great. Loadsa styles in there, and you rarely see it covered.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri May 01, 2009 12:02 am

Another thing for everyone to remember : Dont pick your favourite song cause Ill probably ruin it for you =P

And Ill give those 3 a proper download, Ive only ever really listened to them once or twice on youtube. and/or watched your tutorial on them but its pretty faded now Razz

Thanks for the suggestions!
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  McSnuggles Fri May 01, 2009 12:34 am

You could do Bulls on Parade, skip the solo, make it private, and only allow people on this forum to see it. That way you would get good feedback without having to listen to the meanies out there on youtube(there's plenty).

Or you could learn something like Jimmy Kane by Muse. I'm obsessed with Muse so I may be a little biased but Chris is a great bassist and his line in that song is so cool and funky at the beginning. It's not that hard, I learned the intro by ear yesterday and haven't really looked at the rest of the song but I love that line. Here's the song:

McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri May 01, 2009 1:20 am

I really like that intro!

I think I narrowed It down a bit more.
I was considering doing either Bulls On Parade or Miss Murder.

But I thought maybe I could [also] do like [just for the forum] just play a heap of riffs from my human-jukeboxism to demonstrate where I am with different techniques and such.

I actually write the name of the riff down when I learn it so I could just go through a bit of the list, or just the ones in Standard, or just the onesi n Drop D etc.

I dunno, just another idea on how to improve
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Fri May 01, 2009 7:02 am

play whatever you want Smile
people on youtube are cruel for the sake of being cruel..
if you just picked up a bass and start playing like dman, some F-stick is still going to find a problem with it.
its much better to be good at a simple song, than be bad at a hard song.. unless you want the "sometimes" constructive criticism
i'll need to do some videos soon too..
im thinking My Curse, Rose of Sharyn and Holy Diver (Dio cover) by Killswitch Engage
then maybe Carrion by Parkway Drive..
then i'm gonna learn Strong and Smart by In Flames
then maybe another couple killswitch songs... i dunno yet

Last edited by Fuzzydice45 on Sat May 02, 2009 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Fri May 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Fuzzy is right.

Some people just like to give people a hard time on the internet. Puberty does strange things to people, you know? Laughing

I've been quite lucky, and seem to have missed a lot of hate. I had a hard time from some Argentinean and mexican peeps once. They kept on telling me I speak too much like a typical American, and that America is crappy country, etc etc. I tried to explain that A) I wasn't American, and B) Land mass pride is completely irrelevant in music, as we all speak the same language.

They didn't get it. Bad puberty day.

My advice, would be to record the vid, and then take the comments off IF you don't want to receive comments like these. Remember though, most of the time these comments aren't relevant at all. They are just constructed by sad people to upset you. You can turn ya comments off, and we can give you constructive and positive feedback here if you want.

Tis entirely up to you...

Smile
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Sat May 02, 2009 1:43 am

Yeah, I think Ive decided on Miss Murder, Cause its what I feel profficient at. and like you said before, better to be good at an easy song then bad at a hard one.

Plus, I want positive feedback too =]

Time to practice!

Ill probably record it about.. Wednesday morning or something cause I have the day off work.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  david2545 Sat May 02, 2009 1:58 am

i hate the way peolpe are on youtube about anything you do i got slated ages ago of a video of me an my friends on a log flume lol pathetic that they have the time to comment on videos of teenagers having fun lol
david2545
david2545

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sat May 02, 2009 10:49 am

I posted a video of me playing along to La Grange by ZZTop because I was bored...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umszYpaK0tA

Check typoeman's comment towards the bottom lol!

You'll get a load of crap probably, but if it's not constructive criticism just laugh at 'em Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  stefk0 Sat May 02, 2009 11:21 am

Sounds good, you should really make the video private. Do bulls on a parade without solo and make it private. You can't get better constructive criticism than from this site. cheers cheers
stefk0
stefk0

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down