Free Bass guitar lessons

Bass Collab Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bass Collab Discussion

Post  MetalJacob on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Remember that bass collab? This thread is making me think we should do that.

Back to top Go down

Re: Bass Collab Discussion

Post  Stryfer on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 am

Who would compose the song though? It's not easy putting together several basses... hmm...

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 am

maybe Dman could do it....it is his forum. We could be be featured in the video with him or something.
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:00 am

Yea, or anyone here who has had some experience with composing. Of course each of us would do their own thing, but we'd still need a guideline. Otherwise it would get too crowded too quickly and not everyone would even get a chance to contribute.

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:49 am

I think the best way it would work is that we pick a key and time signature and have one person write a 30-45 second part then we move onto the next person who can then layer over that track and add more on their own, then you go to the next person, rinse and repeat. The main problem here would be translating it too each other well, ie we'd all need a program like guitar pro (seriously, who DOESN'T have that by now?). And also, everyone will need a semi-professional way of recording. Then let the most DAW experienced person mix it and put it all together.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:44 am

Yea, that is a way, but can you imagine several bass players layering whatever they feel on top of an existing track? It would turn into utter chaos quickly, probably after the first 2, maybe 3, there wouldn't be any room to build on it.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:38 pm

instead of having each person write their own part, why not have one person write the entire song and have multiple people play it in the video.
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:21 am

That's why, Stryf, we would have an order of people. We wouldn't have one person write the main/beginning and then have everyone have a take at it. We would have an order say, Pip writes the beginning, I come in second, David 3rd, etc etc and that way the 3rd, 4th, 5th, whatever number people will see where it already is and where too much layering would be. They'd use their best judgement. Also, having each person do a general "role" would be good too, perhaps because Pip is more of a pick player he could add some OD and be the "guitar" of the song and then we could have another person dedicated as lead slap, with another person as the base or low end of the song and etc etc. Just my idea of how it would flow well.

It would be super boring to have one person write the whole song and have us just play it. Where's the creativity in that?

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:41 am

MOD POWARZ! I knew they'd come in handy.

Anyway, yeah. I think the major problem will be recording and mixing and stuff. Who can actually record to at least a passable standard? I might be able to do it using the line out on my amp, but I don't really know if it'd be any good. I also have some limited mixing experience, but only with electronic music...

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 am

I have an audio interface coming in the mail tomorrow so recording won't be a problem. I definitely don't have experience mixing yet though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:32 am

I've mixed demos for my band, so I have a little know-how in that department. I also recorded my bass using the line-out of my amp and directly into my PC. The problem with mixing a lot of bass will be making room for everything. I've never tried it, but I'm guessing the person mixing would have to thin out each sound to only keep it's core component.

More on that later.

Ok, so, I didn't mean that someone should make an entire song and have everyone play it. I was suggesting that we could do something similar to what Stanley Clarke did with a bunch of bass players (if you all remember the video). There was a riff and a chord scheme where everyone had a solo. Of course, I don't think everyone needs a solo, BUT everyone could work out a melody or something to do with that set of chords. For example, someone could make a jazzy progression (if that's they're thing), someone could turn on the drive and metal it out, someone else could funk slap through it, or do a solo thing if that's their cup of tea. That's one idea.
Building on what MetalJacob suggested, for the riff, one person would play low end, another drive, another provide the basic rhythm with slapping, then give the whole thing a voice with harmonics etc.

Now this is a starting suggestion, let's hear opinions. Agree, disagree, elaborate Very Happy

Also, a very important question, we need programmed drums. I'll immediately say that I've not done any drum programming (it's something I've been meaning to do, but never got around to it), so I'm a no go for that. Also, I'm not very good with chords, so don't count on me to compose the main idea neither XD

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 am

I like that idea a lot. It would probably be easier than what I said and that way everyone get a chance to write something well. The main chord progression won't be hard because...well, writing chord progressions isn't hard. We could make it as simple as IV I V vi. If someone wanted to come up with a more complex one, by all means, but we all need to at least understand it and I'm not sure where everyone's skill/knowledge level is.

As for drums, it's a question of when we want them to come in. Do we want to write them and have them be super basic throughout the whole song to allow room for bass work or do we want to have all the bass parts together and then come in with drums that specifically enunciate the bass parts?

Edit: Hey look, this is my 777th post. I guess I missed 666.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:25 am

Awesome man Razz Gratz on 777, you are now more than the devil Razz

Yea, a simple progression, but it needs to be quite flexible you know. We're not guitarists, we don't have 12 min blues solos. We do the groove... so it should be something that allows us to be groovey...and we'd need a nice little riff in there too, to tie everything together. I'll leave that up to someone who's had experience though. Maybe TLS, or whoever it was that posted something about learning the piano.

Well, the drums should be simple, but not overly simple that they force the bass to simplify. Maybe just find a really nice loop? We all need to record over the same drums, otherwise our timing would be severely off. Then, someone who has a knack for programming drums could add in details that would enunciate the bass parts Smile

It would be nice if those interested came forward with what they can do music wise and bass wise. So we have a clue about what we're working with and who's interested Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:12 pm

When it comes to recording, I think the simplest way would be for each person to record in an order similar to what I said earlier. IE, one person does the chords underneath and gives their track to whoever is next in line. That person then records OVER the track and hands that to the next person. Who then proceeds to record over the next track. That way, we won't have 7 different tracks we have to deal with in the end for timing and instead just have 1 single file (with the tracks separated) that needs mixing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Yea, that's the way, as much as it's possible. Despite that, without a stable drum line it'll be really hard to stay in time. Unless we use a metronome, but even then, not everyone is good with a metronome.
Trust me, when it comes to recording on an amateur level, the biggest issues will always be with timing. Especially if latency kicks in.

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:53 am

I agree, completely. That's always the problem with recording. People don't know how bad their timing is until they play with a metronome.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:10 pm

Why do all of this in one big group? We could split up the entire thing into groups of three or four. We could even make a little competition out of it. Very Happy There doesn't even need to be a prize or anything.
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:49 pm

That's not the issue here Wink
The issue is the amount of people interested. So far it seems to be only myself, Jacob, you David and I'm guessing that Pip would be interested also. That's it though... No one else raised their hand

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Oh, forgot about that. Carry on brainstorming then. Very Happy
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:03 pm

*Raises hand*

Maybe. I'll be visiting a bass shop soon, maybe get a new guitar (because holy crap this one's shitty).

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GusTheBassDog on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Stryfer wrote:That's not the issue here Wink
The issue is the amount of people interested. So far it seems to be only myself, Jacob, you David and I'm guessing that Pip would be interested also. That's it though... No one else raised their hand

I think it's a very interesting idea, but currently suck too bad to actually participate. I am just a dog, and all. I would love to hear the results, though. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 am

Gus, that's horsecrap and you know it.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GusTheBassDog on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:05 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:Gus, that's horsecrap and you know it.

Perhaps so. Dogs are just always nervous about their abilities. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top