Free Bass guitar lessons

Question for Dman or other users

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question for Dman or other users

Post  SuperShnaayin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:04 pm

I am new to the bass, and so far I enjoy it very much. I just have 2 questions at this time: is trouble with rhythm normal and will it be fixed by just continuing to play songs that i know and love/new songs?

Back to top Go down

Re: Question for Dman or other users

Post  DavidM96 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Id give you my two cents, but youve already gotten it. lol
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 am

Like any skill, it needs to be practiced, but if you practice wrong, you won't ever get anywhere. You can practice songs well enough, as long as you play along to the song. Otherwise, use drum tracks and metronomes to hone in your playing. But just playing the riffs without any concept of time wont really get you places.

Also, playing in a group I think is the best for it all Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:20 am

Playing songs you know and love is fine, but there is something to be said about a drummer who doesn't practice with a metronome - the same applies to bass players. Just playing along to songs is not enough. It will help somewhat, but there is a large difference in playing a riff along to the same riff and playing it to along with a stable click. 

Often, playing along to a song without a trained sense or rhythm (and no one has that when they start) will trick you ears into thinking you are accurate, because you hear the accurate playing of the bass player in the song. 
A drum machine is good, but there will be often a large number of hits during a single bar, making it easier to follow. 

A metronome is the ultimate tool for training your sense of rhythm. If you can when each click will come and if you can play precisely between each click you will never need to worry about not feeling the groove Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top