Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Walking Bass

2 posters

Go down

Walking Bass Empty Walking Bass

Post  GusTheBassDog Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Wondering what everyone thinks of playing walking basslines? Since I began playing with a Jazz and R&B oriented band, it's expected I play walking bass on some standards we play. I'm still pretty new to it, but for something that's supposed to sound fluid and totally improvised, I find it doesn't really add much variance. For example, when playing a standard that goes from F to A to C, in 4/4, your 3rd and 5th are already written, and coming up fairly quick, so it sounds a bit repetitive to use them to walk between the chords there. I find it ends up sounding like I'm just playing scales up and down.
GusTheBassDog
GusTheBassDog

Back to top Go down

Walking Bass Empty Re: Walking Bass

Post  Stryfer Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:34 am

I'm not much of a walking bass player (I prefer jumping Wink ), so I can't imagine what the situation is without a more concrete example.

I can however suggest this - if you want your walking bass to sound jazzy, throw in a chromatic progression at some point or add that "skip" thing (don't know what it's called in English).
On the other hand, I did have a blues type of progression in a song once and that pretty much was just playing pentatonic scales up and down, but when the whole band played their part too it sounded great. Even if by itself, not so much Smile

Stryfer

Back to top Go down