Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

small hands

4 posters

Go down

small hands Empty small hands

Post  kyle892 Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:38 am

Well i have small hands for a guy (my girlfriend has the same hand size as me). its the same reason i quit playing guitar because i couldnt reach the right frets for chords. but i picked up bass because my old band needed a bass player, and because i was pretty much willing to learn anything. so i started playing about 7 months ago and ive been progessing, but some things that require me to really stretch my fingers i have trouble with. ive been trying to just increase how fast i can move my hand but im not sure if its the right thing to do. would anyone be able to give me some advice?
kyle892
kyle892

Back to top Go down

small hands Empty Re: small hands

Post  Drakon7 Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:19 am

I cant throw much advice at you right now, Im a bit occupied [I scrounge the forum constantly at work Smile] but if you look down the list of threads, there is another thread named Small Hands with a similar problem [but not 100% same from memory]
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Wello Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:30 am

I'm not quite sure if I'm qualified to give you advice scratch but I'm a gal so I have small hands too. Back when I was playing guitar and taking lessons from a teacher I was having trouble reaching for chords (like you said) as well as reaching certain frets and my teacher just told me I needed to stretch my fingers even if it was uncomfortable (or slightly painful, which it was) so that it would strengthen the muscles in my fingers that people don't normally use so that when you need to reach, you can. I'm not sure if my teacher was right or not, but so far it's worked for me. As I've been playing bass for a while now, it's transferred over nicely and it's gotten a lot easier for me to stretch and have it be generally remain comfortable and natural.
I hope this helps Neutral, but if not I'm not quite sure what to tell you. If you can move your hands quickly, I'm pretty sure that that's the next best thing you can have going.
Wello
Wello

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:04 am

You know what i just realised?

248 registered members

And I think that Wello is the first female to be on here?

I could be wrong, though
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  McSnuggles Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:20 pm

I think the best thing you can do is just stretch your hands. Get the muscles stronger and increase how far you can stretch them. I know three stretches off the bass that you can do at work or whenever. I would think they would help but I'm not 100% sure.

1. You take your left hand and put your right hand in between the index and middle finger. Put your right hand as far down as you can until you can feel the stretch. Hold it for a few seconds and then put your right hand in between your middle and ring finger. Then between your ring and pinky. This will stretch the muscles and allow you to stretch father but will not actually strengthen your hand.

2. Take a rubber band and wrap it around the fingers on your left hand. Make sure it's pretty tight. Then just spread your fingers as far apart as they can go. Try to keep them straight though.

3. This is probably the best one. You spread your fingers apart as far as you can and keep them floating above a desk or your leg or something fairly flat. Then bend you index down without bending any of the joints on your finger except the one connected to your palm. Make sure all your other fingers stay straight and far apart. Then bend your middle down. Then your ring. Then your pinky. If you do it right you'll feel the stretch in the finger that you bend.

Hope these help but no promises because I'm not a bass teacher like Dman, I just sort of hang out on the forums. Razz
McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down