Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else think it would have been..

5 posters

Go down

Anyone else think it would have been.. Empty Anyone else think it would have been..

Post  Drakon7 Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:24 am

Awesome to get a lesson from Ryan Martinie back when he was doing them in Feb/March?

Sure the fine print made him look like a bit of a prick. but who knows, maybe it was all about the people behind him, the label and such.

I probably would have paid the $250 for it. He is a legend.

If anyone DID actually go, how was it? =D

Would have been such a great thing for so many people. Being so many peoples idols. It would have meant the world to them to actually have him teach you..
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Anyone else think it would have been.. Empty Re: Anyone else think it would have been..

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:45 am

I don't think that anything warrants that price.

There are no secrets to this. It's all been done before, someway or another.

He'd have to be teaching "never before done" techniques for me to want to pay that amount of money, lol. His communication skills would have to be amazing as well. As in, he'd have to wink at me and BANG, I knew the technique. That's definatly worth the money.

Anyone being taught by someone famous is paying for the name, not the teaching.

Sad
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Anyone else think it would have been.. Empty Re: Anyone else think it would have been..

Post  Drakon7 Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:23 pm

But thats the point I was making, that he is famous. being taught by your favourite bassist would have some sort of personal gain to it.

$50 was going to charity, but I would barely say that thats much in comparison, but like I said, it mightnt have been him making the terms.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:31 pm

Yea man, thats a good point. He'll have PR people to pay and stuff.

I mean, if I had the opportunity to have a lesson with Les claypool for that price, i'd sell a kidney, lol! Even if he didn't teach me anything, i'd pay just to go fishing with him...

Very Happy
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:44 pm

The thing that mostly have made him look like a prick was the fine print, though

Wouldnt have been written by him, surely

'He will sign items, Bass, CDs etc. But this is a lesson, not a "hang out" session'

But also, with the price , THe whole band is giving up a day for him to do the lessons all throughout the tour.. And the lead singer is really, really, conceited. so maybe he had to give some to them, too..
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:32 pm

I would have sold everything in my room except my amp / stand / and bass for that. Especially back then - I was still extremely sloppy with my technique. (Still am, working on it.)
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:58 am

Im not sure what I would have sold..

theres alot of things I would sell, and alot I wouldnt..
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:41 am

Drakon7 wrote:But thats the point I was making, that he is famous. being taught by your favourite bassist would have some sort of personal gain to it.

But what if your favourite bass player ended up being a dick and laughed at your abilities. Ok maybe not laughed but what if the experience of meeting someone you admire so much turned you away from the instrument?

I've seen instructional DVD's by two of my favourite bassists John Entwistle and Flea and to be honest, fantastic bass players that they are, the vids weren't really instructional at all. The one with Flea was presented by River Phoenix. Flea talked more about the spiritual aspect of being a musician than he did about bass technique and such. It was nice to see him play bass and there were parts were he was jamming with Chad which was great. But I wouldn't buy the DVD and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone if they wanted an instructional DVD on how to play bass. John Entwistle seemed to be making it up as he went along, he didn't really seem interested in doing the video at all.

I guess the point I'm making is that just because someone is a famous musician and a great musician doesn't mean they would make the best teachers. And I wouldn't pay a lot of money just to see someone I admire, even if it was John Paul Jones and I love that guy. Not that I wouldn't like to meet him, that would be amazing but I'm not going to pay hundreds for the privilege.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:46 pm

Pastichio wrote:
Drakon7 wrote:But thats the point I was making, that he is famous. being taught by your favourite bassist would have some sort of personal gain to it.

But what if your favourite bass player ended up being a dick and laughed at your abilities. Ok maybe not laughed but what if the experience of meeting someone you admire so much turned you away from the instrument?

I've seen instructional DVD's by two of my favourite bassists John Entwistle and Flea and to be honest, fantastic bass players that they are, the vids weren't really instructional at all. The one with Flea was presented by River Phoenix. Flea talked more about the spiritual aspect of being a musician than he did about bass technique and such. It was nice to see him play bass and there were parts were he was jamming with Chad which was great. But I wouldn't buy the DVD and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone if they wanted an instructional DVD on how to play bass. John Entwistle seemed to be making it up as he went along, he didn't really seem interested in doing the video at all.

I guess the point I'm making is that just because someone is a famous musician and a great musician doesn't mean they would make the best teachers. And I wouldn't pay a lot of money just to see someone I admire, even if it was John Paul Jones and I love that guy. Not that I wouldn't like to meet him, that would be amazing but I'm not going to pay hundreds for the privilege.
Flea's video was never meant to be an 'instruction'. The thing is just about Flea's playing. That's different from an instruction video.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:36 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:
Pastichio wrote:

Flea's video was never meant to be an 'instruction'. The thing is just about Flea's playing. That's different from an instruction video.

Ok fair enough.

But it does say it here http://www.activemusician.com/item--HL.00320339
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum