Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mai 2nd Bayzz

+2
Fuzzy
Drakon7
6 posters

Go down

Mai 2nd Bayzz Empty Mai 2nd Bayzz

Post  Drakon7 Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:02 am

Ok, So Im gunna be getting a new bass soon, It'll be my second, and I want something that I dont have now, to give better reason to buy a new one. Or more then I have now etc

So now I have a 4 string with 1 split pickup [I think thats a precision, right?]

I was thinking maybe getting a 5 string, or maybe even a fretless. Or just plain something with 2 pickups for different tone.

Whats your thoughts, guys?

Im not gunna bring the price of the bass into this [obviously, to a point, no 5,000 fender customs, please] cause Im looking for any kind of ideas.

But price of things like maintenence, strings etc would be helpful [eg. I know they dont, but if fretless strings cost $200]

EDIT : No fenders. I hate the headstock. So much. So so much.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Mai 2nd Bayzz Empty Re: Mai 2nd Bayzz

Post  Fuzzy Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:17 am

Well a rough price range would be good Smile
I'm looking at getting rather the ibanez SR300 or SR500, which are about $650 and $1000 if you haggle a bit.
I'll try and sell my SRX on ebay for around $300 aswell..
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:20 am

Its not that Im looking for someone to say an exact bass I should get, more along the lines of pros and cons of 5 strings, fretlesses, the different pickups etc.

Just what I should look for. Considering Ive only been playing less then a year now.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:03 am

Well a fretless and different pickup configurations give various different sounds.
A fretless gives more of a "mwah" sound as it rings directly on the neck, a fretted is more bright because its ringing on the metal fret.
Two pickups would give more variation, as you can mix them however you want, but if you love the sound of just one pickup in particular, like on some of the musicman basses, just go with that.
In general, i'd go with two pickups just for more variation.
It's just a matter of opinion though, you'll have to try them out and see what you like.

A five string bass, however, is a little more definitive...
It'll give you more low end, which is always good, but makes the neck bigger and harder to play.
I personally don't see the point of a six stringer.. makes the neck even bigger and gives you a higher string? no thanks.

There's no special maintenance between pickup configurations, fretless and 5/6 string basses that I know of, except for cleaning and such, which wouldn't be much.
A set of strings for a 5 string bass woud cost about 20% to 30% more than an identical 4 string set.

You'll just have to try them out Smile
Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzae Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:25 am

It's definetly too early for me to even be considering my next bass, but my mind does tend to wander and I plan to get a Thunderbird when I'm good and ready. Not Gibson (I'm not loaded!) but probably the Epiphone flavour. http://dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/info_00071700.html Dual humbucker for a nicer tone, asthetically pleasing and an unusually shaped full scale bass.
It will be mine! cyclops <---- What is this smiley meant to be?
Dizzae
Dizzae

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:31 pm

I'd definitely consider buying a lined fretless if you're going that route.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  lokki Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:49 pm

I actually have been looking at this 5 string hybrid which has a Jazz and a Precision pickup.
(Jazz up front obviously)

It's was around 400 euro's and i think it was a Yamaha, but it could've been a Musicman.
There was a power out and i was standing in the back of the store.

I'll go by tomorrow if i got the time, maybe even take a picture.

In semi related side note.

Do we have a post your picture thread?
lokki
lokki

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:59 am

lokki wrote:
Do we have a post your picture thread?
Yep! There's a post your bass thread somewhere in the general chat Smile
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93