Free Bass guitar lessons

How to fix rattling strings....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to fix rattling strings....

Post  blazed0wayz on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:39 pm

i was wondering if anyone knows how to stop the rattle of my strings with my ibanez gsr200 4 string bass... i just got this bass and when i play it the strings rattle really bad and it is aggravating and i dont know how to make it go away i know the neck has adjustments.. but as i said i never done anything like this so im new to this. if anyone could help me i would appreciate it!

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix rattling strings....

Post  Protoplm on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Well, you're going to have to elaborate on what you mean by your strings rattling. You're probably reffering to something known as fret buzz. Where does it buzz exactly? Does it buzz when you're playing a note without a fret? Only when you fret a note on the E string past the 3rd fret? That type of thing.

Before I know this, I can't really give much help concerning your problem.

Back to top Go down

Post  blazed0wayz on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:35 pm

i get fret buzz on open strings and when i fret a string anywhere on the neck..but it has alot of buzz when i play an open string

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:52 pm

blazed0wayz wrote:i get fret buzz on open strings and when i fret a string anywhere on the neck..but it has alot of buzz when i play an open string

That's kind of weird.. but none the less.

If you have a buzz with open strings, it's probably not your technique unless you're playing obscenely hard.

When you play a string where exactly is it buzzing? It has to be hitting something to cause this ugly sound, look closely as you play a note.

Pick up your bass and look down the neck from the headstock. What kind of bend does it have in it? It can be slightly arched in or out. It can also be perfectly straight.

How are your strings sitting on the nut? (Plastic/bone piece where the strings sit on the very tip of the neck.) Your strings should be surrounded about halfway and lightly fitting into their slot. If the nut is obviously cracked or damaged it would cause the bass to be nearly unplayable.

How high are your strings from your frets? It sounds like your action - the height of the strings at the bridge - is very low. This would cause the strings to be so close to the frets that it would buzz whenever it is played.

How are your strings sitting on the bridge? Each string should fit onto a slot called a saddle smoothly. If something looks awkward, think about how it should be sitting.

Thats all I can think of to ask right now.. I think I'll make a nice big post on fret buzz and have Dman sticky it or something.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 pm

Yeah I had that problem for a bit with my Ibanez GSR200... It's coming from the bridge saddles. Well it should be anyway. Just put your ear to the bridge while playing a string. I don't know how I fixed it but maybe you could give the screws for action and/or intonation a little twist (not too much otherwise you'll screw your intonation (unless it wasn't spot on to start with and you happened to screw it in the right direction to correct it Razz ))

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:18 am

Protoplm wrote:How are your strings sitting on the nut? (Plastic/bone piece where the strings sit on the very tip of the neck.) Your strings should be surrounded about halfway and lightly fitting into their slot. If the nut is obviously cracked or damaged it would cause the bass to be nearly unplayable.

The strings on my SR300 are almost entirely covered at the nut, whats the deal with that?

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:51 pm

Fuzzydice45 wrote:
The strings on my SR300 are almost entirely covered at the nut, whats the deal with that?

Usually it would mean that the nut is too deep and the strings are too low at the nut.

It could be how the bass is supposed to be, usually the way to tell is by looking at how it plays. Do you have any problem with fret buzz near it? If not, do you have to keep your action rather high to compensate for how low the strings are near the nut? And lastly, do you have any trouble with tuning it? If the nut is too deep, the strings could grab onto the nut a bit more than usual and cause it to not want to tune right.

If you look at pictures of most bass nuts, the slots in them are not all that deep. It's possible you could benefit from a new nut if any of those above ring true.

EDIT: A nut being too deep could also lessen your bass's sustain - how long a note rings out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy on Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:53 am

Well it plays alright i guess.. don't really have anything to compare it to.
How hard is it to change the nut?

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:36 pm

Fuzzydice45 wrote:Well it plays alright i guess.. don't really have anything to compare it to.
How hard is it to change the nut?

Simple, provided you have one that fits. If you don't you have to either make one fit, or make one from scratch.. which both are an absolute pain. If it plays fine, there isn't any reason to worry about it - if you're curious have a professional look at it.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top