Free Bass guitar lessons

New Tapping Exercise

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Tapping Exercise

Post  Stryfer on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Don't worry Nocturnal, I was only joking Razz

Ok, so as far as tapping goes, I started almost 2 years ago...maybe a year and a half...and now I can say that I sort of know what I'm doing. The fact is that tapping requires good knowledge of the fretboard (scale patterns mostly) and strong fingers. I started only after about 4-5 years of bass experience, so I had a decent amount of power and mobility.

In terms of EQ you need some mids and highs in order to get a good sound. If you're using a reggae type of sound with a lot of bass, this will not transfer well to tapping. Most of the note comes from the attack, rather than the string vibration. Compression will also help a lot! Smile
Another huge problem gear wise is action (or string height). If you have high action tapping is a nightmare and near impossible, same goes if your strings have a strong tension. I know that I have significantly more trouble tapping on my Squire than on my Ibanez. The Squire doesn't even have extremely high action, but for some reason the strings on it have more tension and it makes tapping a challenge.

Now, controling velocity is not as simple as it seems. True you may hit them the same, but the thing with tapping is that your fingers are now doing the same job as opposed to seperate jobs (like when one hand frets and the other plucks). They built up a different kind of strength. I'm not exactly sure, but I think your plucking hand will have a lot more strength when tapping notes. This is because of the position (the wrist isn't bent, unlike with the fretting hand) and the fact that it's used to hitting strings which takes more power than just fretting them.
So, if you hit with the same velocity, chances are that you plucking hand will deliver far more strength than your fretting one. Especially if you hit 2 notes and hold them, then the underlying single ones will be less prominent. You need to really train your fretting hand for power. I did this while practicing slap hammer-ons and trying to get my hammer-on to sound as loud as the slap. Also, if you've been trying to keep your fingers close to the frets up until now, this is a good time to get used to pulling them away farther for a stronger hit while tapping.

EDIT: One more thing I just realized. While tapping on the G, I seem to distance the palm of my fretting hand from the neck with the thumb. This straightens my wrist and gives me more power. It must be a habit I developed, I didn't even notice Smile You know how your thumb is always wresting on the back of the neck right? Well in this case, only the tip of my thumb is touching the neck and is sort of pushing away from it...I hope that makes sense... Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Stryfer wrote:Don't worry Nocturnal, I was only joking Razz

Ok, so as far as tapping goes, I started almost 2 years ago...maybe a year and a half...and now I can say that I sort of know what I'm doing. The fact is that tapping requires good knowledge of the fretboard (scale patterns mostly) and strong fingers. I started only after about 4-5 years of bass experience, so I had a decent amount of power and mobility.

In terms of EQ you need some mids and highs in order to get a good sound. If you're using a reggae type of sound with a lot of bass, this will not transfer well to tapping. Most of the note comes from the attack, rather than the string vibration. Compression will also help a lot! Smile
Another huge problem gear wise is action (or string height). If you have high action tapping is a nightmare and near impossible, same goes if your strings have a strong tension. I know that I have significantly more trouble tapping on my Squire than on my Ibanez. The Squire doesn't even have extremely high action, but for some reason the strings on it have more tension and it makes tapping a challenge.

Now, controling velocity is not as simple as it seems. True you may hit them the same, but the thing with tapping is that your fingers are now doing the same job as opposed to seperate jobs (like when one hand frets and the other plucks). They built up a different kind of strength. I'm not exactly sure, but I think your plucking hand will have a lot more strength when tapping notes. This is because of the position (the wrist isn't bent, unlike with the fretting hand) and the fact that it's used to hitting strings which takes more power than just fretting them.
So, if you hit with the same velocity, chances are that you plucking hand will deliver far more strength than your fretting one. Especially if you hit 2 notes and hold them, then the underlying single ones will be less prominent. You need to really train your fretting hand for power. I did this while practicing slap hammer-ons and trying to get my hammer-on to sound as loud as the slap. Also, if you've been trying to keep your fingers close to the frets up until now, this is a good time to get used to pulling them away farther for a stronger hit while tapping.

EDIT: One more thing I just realized. While tapping on the G, I seem to distance the palm of my fretting hand from the neck with the thumb. This straightens my wrist and gives me more power. It must be a habit I developed, I didn't even notice Smile You know how your thumb is always wresting on the back of the neck right? Well in this case, only the tip of my thumb is touching the neck and is sort of pushing away from it...I hope that makes sense... Neutral

Haha I know you were joking, so was I!

OK well my bass has a relatively low action, but the strings are fairly new and have a lot of trouble to pluck them down.
My mids and highs on my amp are always in the middle, so I guess I will need to mess with it a bit.

I have knowledge of the scales, now (after 2,5 years I finally learned every single one, major or minor).

Yes your edit makes perfect sense! Happens to me sometimes too.

I want to develop precision and strength, that's why I turned to tapping.
If I fail, I will wait for a bit, maybe get a compressor pedal to help me get the sound easy. My amp its kinda cheap, so I won't bet on it for now.

Thank you very much, dear Stryfer. Always the best replies!
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:49 pm

Pippynip wrote:I suck too, but I'm getting better Razz My main problem is with EQ and dynamics. Discovering how hard I need to tap whichever frets on whichever strings in order to achieve an overall dynamically consistent sound is rather an arduous process indeed. Generally speaking, if I tap a two-note chord on the A and D strings while tapping a melody on the G string, all taps at roughly the same velocities, the melody ends up near inaudible Razz

Seesh talk about vision.
I just saw that, Pippy!

The EQs are a big pain! Sad
I will need many weeks of practice to achieve ANYTHING to sound like a melody lol.
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Ok, first I posted an overview of my EQ set-up, but now that I think of it, it may not really be necessary. So, simplified:
A boost between 1.5kHz and 2kHz should give a nice attack without being too clicky. Another minor boost around 4kHz should help make the tone sharper and ring out. Just don't give it too much because the clicks appear in this area (unless you're going for a Korn sound).

Soloing a pickup may also help. I prefer the neck, but I think most use the bridge.

Finally, and this is the main source of the melodious sound in tapping - an effect! I use a slow light chorus, since I don't have reverb, but I'm guessing the same can be achieved with either. This is what helps each note ring out properly.

Of course, all this comes into play once you've actually learned to tap Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Stryfer wrote:Ok, first I posted an overview of my EQ set-up, but now that I think of it, it may not really be necessary. So, simplified:
A boost between 1.5kHz and 2kHz should give a nice attack without being too clicky. Another minor boost around 4kHz should help make the tone sharper and ring out. Just don't give it too much because the clicks appear in this area (unless you're going for a Korn sound).

Soloing a pickup may also help. I prefer the neck, but I think most use the bridge.

Finally, and this is the main source of the melodious sound in tapping - an effect! I use a slow light chorus, since I don't have reverb, but I'm guessing the same can be achieved with either. This is what helps each note ring out properly.

Of course, all this comes into play once you've actually learned to tap Very Happy

All noted and ready to tap!
Thank you Stryfer!
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:49 am

Not gonna lie, I skipped the long posts. But yea, tapping = finger hurt, in my case.
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 pm

The posts are only relative if you're having trouble learning to tap or get a good sound out of it Smile

In your case, it just takes time to train your fingers Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:29 pm

I must admit that without any particular EQ setting, my tapping sounds much better with headphones.
:-|
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Yeah, some things I do sound better with headphones too. It's because the speakers used change the sound, or so I was told Razz

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:18 pm

I think it's because you don't hear the clanking of the instrument for one.

Also, there is the fact that speakers strive to spread the sound, while headphones are more like amps and focus sound... If that's what you meant... also the sound out of headphones isn't tainted by room acoustics... and some of it just one of those unexplained mysteries of life that hold to key to understanding why we are here.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:26 pm

Nah, I meant the speaker in the amp vs the speakers in the headphones. Very Happy

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:55 am

Ahh, that would be room acoustics my Pippy friend. Smile They're nasty, especially with bass!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top