Free Bass guitar lessons

Learn to play walking basslines with SuperMaximo93

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:25 am

Chords
This is the first in a series of jazz walking bassline lessons; this one is about the chords you'll need to know before going further. I was a bit nervous when recording this and made loads of slip ups, still got the point accross I guess (also I didnt a lesson plan or anything). If you have any questions, reply to the topic and I'll reply to them in later videos. Also constructive critisim on how to make my next vids better is appreciated. Enjoy! Very Happy

Introduction to walking using chromatics and major chords
The second in my series of walking bass lessons. This one is an introduction to walking using chromatics and major chords

Last edited by SuperMaximo93 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Learn to play walking basslines with SuperMaximo93

Post  Armo on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Finally cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:44 pm

It's a good lesson, although a bit disorganised.

Perhaps you could take notes about what you want to say first and then record the video? That way you don't repeat stuff all the time.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:06 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:Perhaps you could take notes about what you want to say first and then record the video? That way you don't repeat stuff all the time.

Yeah, definitely. I cbb to do notes on that vid Razz Next lesson will be better, should be up tomorrow, or maybe Thursday. Or maybe one tomorrow, one Thursday. Stay tuned Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:48 pm

+1 home slice

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:21 pm

Just watched it.
First of all - thank you for the simplified approach! Although it seems as if its more of a blues walk than a jazz one, I'm glad you kept it very simple with the thirds and fifths. What I got when I first started trying to walk (and later when watching videos on it) was stuff like modes, chromatics constant change of notes...way too complicated (and it was walking BASICS! Shocked )

Secondly, you don't need notes exactly, but you could plan it all out in your head before you switch on the cam. Of course, a first lesson is a first lesson Smile With experience I'm guessing you'll get better.

Finally, please don't say "watch his videos instead of this", if I wanted to watch his vid I already would have Razz
It's you we all want to see! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Armo on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Stryfer wrote:
Although it seems as if its more of a blues walk than a jazz one

When you approach for the first time the walking bass many bass teacher or jazz bass books give you a 12 bar blues. Once you get comfortable with that stuff then you go on studying other chord progression like the II-V-I, I-IV, turnarounds, etc.
Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:44 am

Thanks for the positive comments guys Very Happy Next video's up! And Armo, you just gave me an idea for the next lesson... (before anyone asks; wait and see Razz)

Back to top Go down

Post  Armo on Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 pm

I have two suggestions for your lessons:

1)As i saw you made a lesson on the chromatic notes. So, why don't you explain the difference between the chromatic notes inside the tonality and the ones outside the tonality? It would be a lesson more specific.

2)What about ending every your lesson up with you playing a chord progression in which you apply the rules just explained?

It is always good to apply the rules you learn into your musical playing, to unify the theory with the practice. There are plenty of programs you could create a self-made chord progression with (Guitar pro, Band in a box, etc.).

A walking on a simple standard jazz tune will be usefull, too.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Armo wrote:I have two suggestions for your lessons:

1)As i saw you made a lesson on the chromatic notes. So, why don't you explain the difference between the chromatic notes inside the tonality and the ones outside the tonality? It would be a lesson more specific.

2)What about ending every your lesson up with you playing a chord progression in which you apply the rules just explained?

It is always good to apply the rules you learn into your musical playing, to unify the theory with the practice. There are plenty of programs you could create a self-made chord progression with (Guitar pro, Band in a box, etc.).

A walking on a simple standard jazz tune will be usefull, too.

What is the difference between the chromatic notes inside the tonality and the ones outside the tonality? lol!

And yeah, I was going to do that, but the camera ran out of memory and the vid was a few mins over Youtube's 10 minute limit anyway, that's why the vid is cut up a bit. Next lesson I'll do 7 chords and a 12 bar blues progression

Back to top Go down

Post  Armo on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:01 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:

What is the difference between the chromatic notes inside the tonality and the ones outside the tonality? lol!

well. Let's have a V-I sequence in the key of F (C7-Fmaj7)

the notes inside the tonality are : F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F

And this is a jazz walking bass as you made in the video

1 + + + 2 + + + 3 + + + 4 + + +1 + + + 2 + + + 3 + + + 4 + + +
G|---------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
A|3-------------1------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------3-----------2----------|1-----------------------------------------------|

The notes are: C-Bb-G-Gb-F

Now let's do another jazz walking bass pretty similar but not totally equal:

1 + + + 2 + + + 3 + + + 4 + + +1 + + + 2 + + + 3 + + + 4 + + +
G|---------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
A|3-------------1------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------3-----------0----------|1-----------------------------------------------|

The notes are: C-Bb-G-E-F

Now let's analyze them:

Both lines use the same sequence in the V chord (C7) in order to go to the I (Fmaj7)

example 1: C (Root), Bb (seventh), G (fifth lower), Gb (chromatic), F (root)

example 2: C (Root), Bb (seventh), G (fifth lower), E (chromatic), F (root)

The difference is only in the chromatic choice. Ex. 1 use the Gb which is a note that doesn't belong to the F key (see above) while Ex. 2 use the E which instead belongs to the F key.

The difference is in the sound, too. Chromatic notes that doesn't belong to the key are usually more dissonant than the ones which belong to the key.

i wish i was clear.

EDITED: i've made a lot of grammatical errors so i corrected it Laughing

Last edited by Armo on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:46 pm; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Aaah, I get it, thanks Armo Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Stuck Wink

Nicely done! A bit more organisation so that you know what to talk about & when etc would help the videos flow Smile

I think I can learn a thing or two from these too.... cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:01 am

Awesome, thanks Smaz Very Happy
And yeah I think the vids will get better as I get more experience

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top