Free Bass guitar lessons

Muting strings??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Muting strings??

Post  leora667 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:59 pm

This is starting to become annoying, whenever I go from one string to another above it,I can mute the string I just played with my left hand, but if I were to go from one string and play the one below it like when I go from the A-string to the D or G-string, I have problems with muting because if i try with my left hand it just wont work and I have no idea how to do it correctly with my right hand, unless I use my thumb and sit it on the string i just played, but I'm trying to learn to keep my thumb on the pick-up or E-string because I feel it's moving to much if I put it above the string I'm playing. Am I pulling off too hard or should I just use my thumb like I've been doing?

Back to top Go down

Re: Muting strings??

Post  BlackF89 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:02 am

I use my thumb how you're describing by moving it around rather than just anchoring it on the pick-up you can avoid straining your hand easier Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:14 am

I rest my thumb on the string above the one I'm playing all the time, so going from A to D is no problem for me. I had the moving 2 strings down problem too, but fixed it by resting my thumb on the string I wanted to mute, and keeping it rested there so there wasn't any unecessary movement. Took a bit of practice, but it paid off in the end.

If it feels unnatural... well bass is for most of us technically unnatural. As Dman said; "we're not built to play bass". Got to practice until it becomes natural, however long it takes.

An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced.
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:08 am

Well, they said the most important thing - move your thumb around Smile

Since I feel like I have to add something: another way to mute - if you're fretting the string - is to lift your finger and off the fret and it mutes the note in the process. Though, to achieve that your hand has to move very gracefully and freely across the fret board, in short - it takes practice and time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:35 am

I mute it like stryfer said, I also put my ring finger on my plucking hand on the string above the one I'm playing to mute it in case I accidentally hit it.
My thumb is always on the pickup, unless I'm playing a lot of stuff on the higher strings or I'm playing my 5 string as a 4 string.

Last edited by Fuzzydice45 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:49 am

I use my left hand (lifting my finger), but if that doesn't happen, your right hand-technique should mute the string, because your fingerpads come to rest on it.

http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-technique/plucking/
It's on page 12.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 pm

You could use the floating thumb technique. where your thumb doesn't rest on the pickup, it just lays on the strings that you're not using, You move your whole hand. I personally don't use this because I'm already used to my own style, but if you're pretty fresh this would be a good habit to get into.
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm

whenever i play i mute like this
while moving from a low to high string the fingers of the plucking hand hit the note below the one i am playing and therefor muting it
when moving from a high to a low string i use my left hand to mute the strings

Back to top Go down

Post  leora667 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:47 pm

thanks everyone,I'll probably continue to use my thumb from force of habit but I'm still gonna practice muting the other way like most of you mentioned so I have more options when I'm playing and it wont sound horrible when I do try it^^

Back to top Go down

Post  de_fender on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 pm

most of the songs i play are all on the E and A strings so i dont have a problem. there songs from my youth group. anyways all songs stem from E n A so yeah lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top